• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My thoughts, for what they’re worth (particularly as I am a Nottingham City Council taxpayer).   The way that the high street has gone in recent years we certainly don’t need a second large shopp

Sad the Wimpy Bar has gone..dated a Tracey from up Rise Park at the Vic Centre one...upstairs.jonab mentioned the Maid Marian Way branch..and that was my fave..the ketchup filled plastic tomatoes..rem

You can just spot the Sawyers arms.  

Had a walk through broadmarsh on saturday, Are they doing it up now as i thought they where ripping it down? Noticed new cieling next to the poundshop, new reception desk. I had to pay a visit to my favourite Cafe in there for a coffee and a muffin while i had a wander through, Yummy!

• 9 months later...

went in broad marsh this morning. popped into a few of the clothing shops (quite tacky places but found a nice top + cardi) then took little one for a play for half hour in the play area upstairs. they're obviously doing it up (slowely) only shops worth going in for is evolution, wilkos + the lovely coffee places next to the first set of escalators. they do amazing muffins.

A shoppers paradise ! your having a laugh ?

BLiNNvBCcAAZUD8.jpg

3 levels? sure its 2 + carpark on the top floor that the lifts take you to?

That's the one, the entrance/exit which comes out where Drury Hill used to be. All the shop units there have been empty and boarded up for several years, as though something is in the pipeline, but it's never happened. Yet.

Broadmarsh has looked crap for a long time.

It's a terrible way to be introduced to Nottingham as you walk from the station to get into town.

Hard to see what they can do to improve it.

I just walk quickly to get through it as fast as possible.

There are or used to be a few shops near the the Middle Pavement exit to the center

ah yes. forgot all about that bit, haven't been through it in so long, is every shop boarded up now then?

didn't Victoria centre buy it? theyre taking their sweet time in doing something with it.

Maybe if they built a medieval street behind the Broad Marsh Centre and called it Drury Hill it might bring in a load of interested folk?

Ther eused to be a Wimpy in Broad Marsh. Do Wimpy still exist, I wonder?

walked past wimpys yesterday, pretty sure its still open

Decided to grab a few photos of the emptiness. If you haven't seen inside Broad Marsh since the 70s or 80s, this might disturb you.

Bear in mind these were taken about 9am on a Saturday. But also bear in mind the place doesn't get much busier at other times because there's nothing for anyone to see or do.

The big white space is where the Co-op used to be. On the left is the entrance to Lister Gate

marsh1-1.jpg

Where the Co-op used to be, from the side.

marsh4.jpg

The top level entrance looking out towards Middle Pavement

marsh3.jpg

The modern world; Poundland and an empty space

marsh6.jpg

The top entrance - near Drury Hill. On the left was an Oddbins(?) and on the right was a pub/bar

marsh7.jpg

Inside with all the empty units. The two white spaces on the upper floor are where Gordon Scott (with the swinging monkey) used to be.

marsh5.jpg

How does it survive?

marsh2-1.jpg

There is still a Wimpy in Long Eaton!

Wow Cliff Ton , I am one of those who probably last went in there in the 70s . I can only remember the busy front part by the side of Woolworths .

As you say its early in the day but does look like a ghost town .

As an aside I remember when I worked at ASDA, again in the 70s and one of our supervisors left to go and work in the brand new Argos in the Broadmarsh .

They were a relatively new company then . At the time we wondered why on earth she was leaving us to go and work for such a down-market operation !

As an aside I remember when I worked at ASDA, again in the 70s and one of our supervisors left to go and work in the brand new Argos in the Broadmarsh .

They were a relatively new company then . At the time we wondered why on earth she was leaving us to go and work for such a down-market operation !

I didn't photograph it, but Argos are one of the few companies still there. Amazingly, they've managed to survive. So your ex-supervisor may have picked a winner after all.

These clowns we put in power,no matter which party,national or local haven't the faintest idea of what to do.They couldn't run a tap.Too many shops after too little money.Car parking charges, public and employees,(cash cow) business rates,traffic wardens galore.They haven't a clue.

Tescos apply for out of town megastores...no problem.200 NEW JOBS! they spout...but there are only so many slices to a cake.Those 200 jobs are at the expense of all the small traders and city shops that go out of business.

Tell the big boys....'You want space?...sure in the shopping malls...but they don't want that,they want megastores with gigantic free car parks on the outskirts where they can pinch everybody elses business.

And for the last twenty years the clowns we allow to run our lives have watched the high street die and done damn all about it.

They may as well demolish Broad Marsh and build AFFORDABLE houses...at least they would have built something that is in desperate need.

• Upvote 1

Ther eused to be a Wimpy in Broad Marsh. Do Wimpy still exist, I wonder?

Hi Compo,I haven't got a photo but we still have a Wimpy at Milford Common on Cannock Chase West Mids.

Big business and Local government are still locked into this 80's thinking that 'everything is a earner'.

Never mind morality or being concerned as to where the money is coming from, short-term enormous profit is everything.

Their solution to the recession seems to be to ignore it, but you can't force people to part with their money if they don't have it!

one thing that allways puts me off broad marsh, isn't the lack of shops, or how it looks, its the people in the middle of the walk way trying to flog something, jumping out at you trying to persuid you into having your nails or hair done by them, or to join lovefilm etc. quite annoying!