AS A KID I REMEMBER THE OLD BROAD MARSH BUS STATION CAN ANY ONE REMEMBER THE 2 EXITS THE FIRST WAS PAST AN OLD

BUILDING THINK IT WAS A NEWS SHOP ,THE SECOND EXIT WAS UP SOME STEEP STEPS WITH OLD BUILDINGS ON ONE SIDE ON

THE OTHER WAS A WALL WITH A TRAIN TRACK ,AS A KID FROM CLIFTON WE USED THIS BUS STATION ALL THE TIME,ALAS AS

!sleeping!TIME GOES BY THINGS FADE FROM THE MEMORY.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My thoughts, for what they’re worth (particularly as I am a Nottingham City Council taxpayer).   The way that the high street has gone in recent years we certainly don’t need a second large shopp

Sad the Wimpy Bar has gone..dated a Tracey from up Rise Park at the Vic Centre one...upstairs.jonab mentioned the Maid Marian Way branch..and that was my fave..the ketchup filled plastic tomatoes..rem

You can just spot the Sawyers arms.  

There is an old photo on here some where .

Oh and welcome Greyhair

Wasn't there a little lane at the bottom of Wheeler Gate that went through to the old open bust station?? Memory tells me the buses used to exit on Canal Street?? Or was it Station Street? Been many years now.

I'm sure there was a load of steps going up to High Pavement from that little lane.

AS A KID I REMEMBER THE OLD BROAD MARSH BUS STATION CAN ANY ONE REMEMBER THE 2 EXITS THE FIRST WAS PAST AN OLD

BUILDING THINK IT WAS A NEWS SHOP ,THE SECOND EXIT WAS UP SOME STEEP STEPS WITH OLD BUILDINGS ON ONE SIDE ON

THE OTHER WAS A WALL WITH A TRAIN TRACK ,AS A KID FROM CLIFTON WE USED THIS BUS STATION ALL THE TIME,ALAS AS

!sleeping!TIME GOES BY THINGS FADE FROM THE MEMORY.

Hi Greyhair.. are these the steps you mean?

NTGM014626.jpg

Ayup Greyhair,

I can remember them, lace market side of Broad marsh, Drury hill to the left as you looked from BM, Middle hill (steps) and Garners hill to the right, the last time I was in Nottingham they were just digging up Garners hill for some building project so thats more of our history gone

Rog

Thank you all for your help................

Beefsteak, thanks for the welcome.

Ayupmeducks,Your memory is better than mine.

Beerman, nice photo tanks.

Lynmee, spot on.

Plantfit, you knew it better than me,& you are right about it all going dont know if its better now or as it was just wish i had taken more notice

when i lived in the gt city of nottm.

You are thinking of one of the ultimate acts of Architectural destruction of the 1960-70's Nottingham

Broad Marsh Bus station was not such a loss, But destruction of Drewry (Drury?) Lane, to its north west certainly was.

The new Broad marsh Centre, should never have extended that far! Destroying an ancient Nottingham street.

One building only was saved by moving it to Castle Road, Severn's Tavern

See it here... http://www.sp-images.co.uk/fullscreen_qtvr...lding_QTVR.html

For Further pictures of and information on Drewry Hill, see the following links.

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/articles/tt...erary1926p7.htm

http://prints.leics.gov.uk/pictures_671292...Nottingham.html

http://prints.leics.gov.uk/pictures_670905...Nottingham.html

I used to walk up those steps every morning when I worked for GT Ranby.

Next to GT Ranby was a Carribean Night club owned by a cricketer?

Remind me John?

Not when I was there Mick, the whole square was industrial back then, 1962/3 when I left to be one of Lord Robens team.

Ayup John,

Would that be in Commerce square? and down the hill/walk was the Town arms pub

Rog

Ayup John,

Would that be in Commerce square? and down the hill/walk was the Town arms pub

Rog

Me internet connection went down when I tried to answer your post, been up and down all day, then Mick had probs too.

Yep Commerce Square Rog, don't know about the pub though, was too young for them at the time.

Geoff's wife, Nancy??? Owned and operated the cafe just around the corner.

I remember the Town Arms well, used to go in there sometimes. There also use to be a church more or less next door to it - I think that got pulled down earlier.

Sometimes, when reading these posts, I get the impression that most of you spent your formative years in one or more of Nottingham's hostelries - this couldn't be true - could it? !englandflag!

Sometimes, when reading these posts, I get the impression that most of you spent your formative years in one or more of Nottingham's hostelries - this couldn't be true - could it? !englandflag!

Definitely not.......

Not really, but as a snotty nosed kid I recall the Coachmakers Arms backyard on many Sunday lunchtimes while Mum and Dad had a pint or two and kept bringing me lemonade and crisps.

Whatever gave you that idea Charlie? we are just good honest Nottingham historians HIC!!!

Rog

At the exit to Broad Marsh Bus Station, opposite the Town Arms there wasa very good Gents Outfitters - Dunns - anyone remeber. Also on the way out of BM there was a block of toilets on the right, a cafe and another pub, just forget the name. Incidentally, you can still see the 'Broad Marsh' road sign if you look up as you leave the poresent BM shopping centre.

Incidentally, you can still see the 'Broad Marsh' road sign if you look up as you leave the poresent BM shopping centre.

Photo?

The 'Towers' pub ...now there was a class joint...All tarts and Yanks.

Dunn & Co. was on the corner .....all Trilby's and Moleskin trousers.Sawyers Arms over the road.

Paul.