What about the cobblers, he could mend anything from a shoe to a full set of suit cases,

I also remember the Towers pub, a bit selective in it's clientel as Poohbear say's all yanks and tarts

Rog

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My thoughts, for what they’re worth (particularly as I am a Nottingham City Council taxpayer).   The way that the high street has gone in recent years we certainly don’t need a second large shopp

Sad the Wimpy Bar has gone..dated a Tracey from up Rise Park at the Vic Centre one...upstairs.jonab mentioned the Maid Marian Way branch..and that was my fave..the ketchup filled plastic tomatoes..rem

You can just spot the Sawyers arms.  

Before Broad Marsh Centre wasn't there a car park opposite Woolies on Lister gate? And you could see across to Redmayne & Todd.A clock tower in the middle? and the Denham Pub in the right hand corner?

Paul.

Yes paul there was.

If you left Woollies (after having lunch in their upstairs Restaraunt, it had a smell of its own, a bit like the school canteens)

Er.. I digress!

Anyways you come out the front doors of woolies, you looked across a triangular open car park, towards Carrington Street .

This ran past what is now the King John Pub, from Redmayne and Todds and joined Lister Gate.

Across this car park, on Carrington Street could be seen The EMEB (leccy board) stone fronted building.

I cant remember what else was on that length of Carrington Street though?

I cant remember what else was on that length of Carrington Street though?

I'm sure there were a electrical shop selling radios and Hi Fi gear on the left because I remember going in there to buy a reel to reel tape recorder, I would be about thirteen or there abouts.

Bip.

On the edge of said car park I think I can recall a large engineering factory, what was it's name anyone? Also I think the area outside woolies was where the 'Fountain' was.

On the edge of said car park I think I can recall a large engineering factory, what was it's name anyone?

Are you thinking of 'Cookes' the sheet metal company?

Possibly Frank, but 'Widdowson's' has just come to me!

There was an electrical shop on Carrington st called Charles Town, same side as the station is that the one Den?

It was on the same side as the station Den as you say.

Name I have no idea but at one time my mum worked as a cleaner for the owner who lived in one of those houses on Trowel moor road just passed the traffic lights at Balloon woods.

The possion of shop would have been about where the public entrance to the bus station is now on Carrington St.

Bip.

I've heard that too and I think the artiste impression has been in the Evening Post.

when the work begins I have no idea.

Bip.

There was an electrical shop on Carrington st called Charles Town...

Didn't Charles Town sell amateur radio and electronic stuff? For some reason the name rings a bell!

Hi

Worked at Boots on Station St from 1962 so remember Drury Hill well. On Carrington St there was a shoe shop Managers name ? Hall, a fabric shop, a butchers all green tiles, and the electrical shop. Can anyone remember the tool shop could have been called Harrisons? and the Parkside Club ( after Goerge Akins moved the gaming machines to the Victoria Club) on Station St.

Val

• 6 months later...
AS A KID I REMEMBER THE OLD BROAD MARSH BUS STATION CAN ANY ONE REMEMBER THE 2 EXITS THE FIRST WAS PAST AN OLD

BUILDING THINK IT WAS A NEWS SHOP ,THE SECOND EXIT WAS UP SOME STEEP STEPS WITH OLD BUILDINGS ON ONE SIDE ON

THE OTHER WAS A WALL WITH A TRAIN TRACK ,AS A KID FROM CLIFTON WE USED THIS BUS STATION ALL THE TIME,ALAS AS

!sleeping!TIME GOES BY THINGS FADE FROM THE MEMORY.

I too used to take the bus from Clifton into town, remember walking up the steps to an old church, perhaps. long long time ago. Also Mum used to take her car in to get serviced and i used to meet her there and have to walk through the bs. What part of Clifton? Farnbrough school anyone?

early 70's. Now I'm dating myself.

• 1 year later...

Yes I remember EMEB, opposite Woollies, there was an open car park between the both.

I remember it being deemolished, but never remember it open?

BTW Welcome

AS A KID I REMEMBER THE OLD BROAD MARSH BUS STATION CAN ANY ONE REMEMBER THE 2 EXITS THE FIRST WAS PAST AN OLD

BUILDING THINK IT WAS A NEWS SHOP ,THE SECOND EXIT WAS UP SOME STEEP STEPS WITH OLD BUILDINGS ON ONE SIDE ON

THE OTHER WAS A WALL WITH A TRAIN TRACK ,AS A KID FROM CLIFTON WE USED THIS BUS STATION ALL THE TIME,ALAS AS

!sleeping!TIME GOES BY THINGS FADE FROM THE MEMORY.

Yes i remember it well and in the sixties i used to walk my girlfriend to catch her bus down the steep steps. I lived in Radford and she in Clifton.As i remember the alleyway was quite dark so we stole a few kisses there.

Not sure if you are aware of it, but if you want pictures of Broad Marsh in those days go to www.picturethepast.org.uk

In the options across the top go to "Search the images", "Accept", and then in the second section down "select a town or village" scroll down to Nottingham -Broad Marsh

I knew that area very well in the 60s. We lived at Clifton and used the original bus station, Drury Hill, Garners Hill, the railway viaduct etc. There are pictures of all of it

• 5 months later...

I came across a till receipt today from Charles Town, Radio and Electrical, Carrington Street, Nottingham - Phone: 4(?)55489. The Year is indistinct but it was 6th May and I spent 19/6 - I was a student in the late 60s and dabbled in valves etc! I remember he had a valve tester on the counter you could plug your old valve into.

It's good to hear your memories!

• 1 year later...

I remember years back when broadmarsh was heaving with decent shops, you had the works, a few good clothes stops etc. Santas grotto every year.. Was a good shopping centre. Went in there a week or two ago, WHATS HAPPEND!? i was half expecting to see some tumble weed. Mainly budget stores, wilkos is still there at the back, the lovely little cafe is still next to blue ink (Love that place, amazing muffins, craving one now thinking about it..) its just so run down. I wonder what peter andre thought when he stepped in there to visit his fans, could of at least gone to vic centre!! ... is it true vic centre has bought broadmarsh now? Although saying that, I am quite a fan of the 99p shop.......

yes pixie broad marsh has been brought by the same company who own vic centre

broardmarsh is surposed to being redeveloped when plans are finalized hence i think most shops ect will wait till its done before moving into the now empty shops save all the disturbance that i surpose will also put of customers hence lack off or small takings and big rents and rates puttingthem out of bussiness altogether.