• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My thoughts, for what they’re worth (particularly as I am a Nottingham City Council taxpayer).   The way that the high street has gone in recent years we certainly don’t need a second large shopp

Sad the Wimpy Bar has gone..dated a Tracey from up Rise Park at the Vic Centre one...upstairs.jonab mentioned the Maid Marian Way branch..and that was my fave..the ketchup filled plastic tomatoes..rem

You can just spot the Sawyers arms.  

18 hours ago, radfordred said:

Last day this Saturday its been there since 1970  

A former partner of mine used to love the place [BM Wimpey]. She went there on several mornings each week for a burger. How she never got fat remains a total mystery!

Sad the Wimpy Bar has gone..dated a Tracey from up Rise Park at the Vic Centre one...upstairs.Screen-Shot-2017-11-08-at-10-53-02.pngjonab mentioned the Maid Marian Way branch..and that was my fave..the ketchup filled plastic tomatoes..remind me of the showdown / shootout on  the Goodies Show.

Late 70's when visiting Hull a lot..they did a triffic' stack burger....heavy on the gherkin!

• Like 3
  • 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Thought they were the revised plans for a minute there.smile2

What Nottingham is desperate for is another ALDI another LIDL some more Student appartments and another Hotel.

I'm sure they could easilly get all of those on the now defunct Shopping site. :crazy:

And those mobile cranes will be back soon, if they haven't already been, to recover the now redundant tower crane.

Whatever the outcome is it won't be required for a few years.

I wonder how much ground rent the council are going to lose and where they will make up the shortfall?

If the ground rent isn't paid then the land and all on it (except goods etc owned by sub leasees) reverts to the Land Owner.

In other words the City Council get the whole site back for free, just as they would if the lease expired under normal circumstances.

They'll make up any losses and more when they either sell the site or develop / joint develop.

My thoughts, for what they’re worth (particularly as I am a Nottingham City Council taxpayer).  

The way that the high street has gone in recent years we certainly don’t need a second large shopping mall in Nottingham, in my opinion we never did need two ...... I used to park in the Broadmarsh multi-storey quite often but can’t ever remember purchasing anything as I walked through to M&S and other shops that side of town.   

A ‘green space’  is an attractive suggestion but I do think it would attract a certain element who would likely spend the day hanging around dropping their beer cans, fag packets and takeaway wrappers.    Just the other day, on Mansfield Road where York House used to be, there was a large pile of nitrous oxide canisters left in the gutter.  Can you imagine what a park in the middle of the city would look like at the end of the day!

We taxpayers may be asked our opinion about the future use of the area but judging by the way the City Council bulldozed their ideas through when wrecking the Old Market Square and redesigning it to accommodate The Beach, the Christmas Market, the Wheel etc. I doubt our opinions will make a jot of difference. 

• Like 4

As another City  Council Taxpayer I too think filling the space with shops is pointless, but I believe market forces will sort that out.

If there isn't sufficient demand for the units then the current plan won't make financial sense to any developer / buyer.

And I doubt there is / will be enough demand.

There are still likely to be more casualties in the retail world so other units around the city and in Vic Centre will become available and will compete with Broad Marsh.

I would think it's going to have to be a mix of some shops, office space, housing and leisure probably with multiple developers involved.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like Broad Marsh has / is going to be handed back to Nottm City Council.

Now the 5 or 10 year wait while all the different groups argue over what's the best solution for the site.

https://localgovernmentlawyer.co.uk/property/404-property-news/44240-shopping-centre-site-handed-back-to-council-unfinished-following-liquidation-of-redevelopment-partnership

I don't think they need to take legal action as they have now taken possession. They are a council though so they will have all the Health and Safety hoops to jump through before they can make a decision. Could be weeks knowing the way these people work!

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Could be weeks knowing the way these people work!

:rotfl: only weeks? ... Ah bless...

It's not open at the moment. I was there this morning (Sunday).

I believe the Council are trying to sort the problem out but it won't be solved tomorrow or the next day.

You have to go either of the long routes round it.

7 hours ago, philmayfield said:

They are a council though so they will have all the Health and Safety hoops to jump through before they can make a decision. Could be weeks knowing the way these people work!

Well yes..  A private sector organisation pulled out, so it must all be the Council's fault.

Health and Safety rules apply to everybody... but let's just use them to beat up the Council.

I'm no special fan of NCC and they've made some pretty crap decisions over the years.. but it seems to me that in this case they are just left holding the baby.

On 6/29/2020 at 8:21 PM, LizzieM said:

We taxpayers may be asked our opinion about the future use of the area but judging by the way the City Council bulldozed their ideas through when wrecking the Old Market Square and redesigning it to accommodate The Beach, the Christmas Market, the Wheel etc. I doubt our opinions will make a jot of difference. 

I agree absolutely with LizzieM here. I no longer live in the city so don’t pay their tax but did for many years. On several occasions I have been in the group of residents consulted on some matter or other and on each and every one the council have done exactly what they wanted to against public opinion. They canvassed wether to make a section of Gregory Street in Lenton one way in the 1970’s, a ridiculous idea no one wanted that they went ahead with, happily scrapped after a few years. Similarly in Lenton they implemented parking restrictions where my mum lived that were not what the majority wanted. Where I used to live and still now when I visit my father in law I can no longer turn right from Alfreton Road into Churchfield Lane from the Ring Road direction meaning a trip through traffic lights, turning across traffic into a quiet side street where kids play and back along a portion of speed bumped Churchfield Lane to get 6 feet into the Lane From Alfreton Road. The vast majority opposed this but were ignored. 
The logic of building Broad Marsh centre in the first place destroying a historic part of the City to do so is hard to understand but given the way shopping habits are changing they were way off the mark in embarking on this rebuild at all. It seems it will be an eyesore for years now. Will anyone be held to account for this and previous follIes?  

2 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

here I used to live and still now when I visit my father in law I can no longer turn right from Alfreton Road into Churchfield Lane from the Ring Road direction meaning a trip through traffic lights, turning across traffic into a quiet side street where kids play and back along a portion of speed bumped Churchfield Lane to get 6 feet into the Lane From Alfreton Road

Playing devils advocate I can't agree that it wasn't necessary. The centre refuges opposite the old Capitol cinema served two purposes. Stopped the danger of cars trying to cut across two lanes of traffic to turn into Churchfield and impeding  traffic flow on Alfreton Rd, one of the busiest roads in the city. This along with the speed humps stopped lazy drivers using Churchfield as a rat run. The increase in journey time through the traffic lights and down a 20mph side street is no more than a few minutes. 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just read that Stockton-on-Tees are demolishing their town centre shopping centre to create a public park, "a green space to link the high street to the river"

Might be a good idea for Broad Marsh - revert to green space. The way things are now, there will be more than enough space in Victoria centre to accommodate whatever retailers are left standing, plus the usual coffee and food shops.

Certainly be cheaper than whatever hare-brained scheme the city fathers are likely to put forward.

I worry about some of the details as published. There seems to be lots of places where the less than civic minded can gather, especially at night.

The memorial gardens at Trent Bridge used to be a really nice place when I was a child, anyone else remember the goldfish?, but now it's not a pleasant place to be. 

Nottingham at the moment is haemorrhaging money so I would not be surprised when maintenance, which it will clearly need a lot of, is cut and it slowly falls into disrepair.

It's being so cheerful that keeps me going you  know!  :Friends: