Would be nice to do that but for last 2 days been in deep sleep, maybe I'm kidding myself but looks a lot better, most of skin yellowing has gone, and seems relaxed, I'm thinking they have "knocked her out" to give her some rest? I did ask nobody said much but afraid to push it as might not hear what I want to? "let sleeping Izzys lay"? nothing I can do really being fed via a tube and drip, talk to her, no signs of her hearing though, the odd stretch, and shift of position without any discomfort, (always liked her sleep! lol) Doctor said yesterday was looking next week to move her from that acute ward to another with view to her being sent home (with help) or another hospital but not for weeks, assuming all goes well (it hasn't so far)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Crikey Owd Prince Phillips rolls his car at 97 ..... hope that wasn't miles per hour?  

Perhaps Phil will pop in to the Vernon arms for a quick Ouzo...................................as his bladders a bit dodgy

I know a psychiatrist, now retired. To be honest he’s one of the oddest people I’ve ever met. Highly intelligent. Just odd!

• 6 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, radfordred said:

I see the Duke of Edinburgh has voluntarily surrended his driving license, think it was about time everyone had their driving assessed when they reach 70

Don't you have ti have a medical before it's renewed? Mines up in three years. Forty odd years of driving have given me experience, but also health issues. I am not sure that I would pass todays test first time.

Still, that always leaves the Trek and the Giant. Unlike Prince P, I do not have thousands of acres of private estate to drive on - that's why the licence was surrendered so easily!

No medical required for a car licence for over 70’s. Just self certification. It’s just a box ticking exercise every three years. It would be difficult to build up a testing infrastructure to test all the over 70’s. Can you get an immediate appointment at the doctor’s? Who will do the testing?

When I cleared 70, I only had to fill a form in to renew my car licence. It is assumed that what you declare is truthful, and, like car insurance, if it all goes bang crash and then found you had known health problems, the s**t hits the fan !

I later kept my HGV licence , but only up to 7.5 ton. That does, quite rightly, reguire a medical. Arranged it with a bus company in Lincoln, £55, cheaper than than my GP  who wanted £85 !

As for driving tests after 70, I fully agree and looked into having a test with the IAM. The cost is ridiculous. If there was a £20 half hour basic check, to see what sort of level you were at, fine, take it from there, but £65 ? 

It’s alright to say that over 70’s should be tested. I agree, but where are the qualified medics and examiners going to come from? The NHS is already struggling and it would take ages to build up a body of competent road testers. When my own mother filled in her self cert, aged 90, one of the questions was ‘do you suffer from memory loss?’. The form came back because she forgot to sign it. She sent it back signed and she was back on the road again. I sold her car not long after that!

And  maybe after being cleared by the doctor,  a trip to the psychiatrist would be a good idea, so one knows that one is sound in body and mind, we don't want any outbreaks of road rage do we now !!! :biggrin:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, philmayfield said:

I know a psychiatrist, now retired. To be honest he’s one of the oddest people I’ve ever met. Highly intelligent. Just odd!:biggrin:

Maybe he thinks the same about us lot     :biggrin:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fogrider said:

As for driving tests after 70, I fully agree and looked into having a test with the IAM. The cost is ridiculous. If there was a £20 half hour basic check, to see what sort of level you were at, fine, take it from there, but £65 ? 

If you contact your local RoSPA group the initial assessment is free. I'm a little out of touch with the IAM but that also was free. 

With RoSPA you pay a subscription (no where near as much as the IAM) to become a member and all the meetings and tuition is free.

There is no time limit or even a requirement to take a test.

https://www.roadar.org.uk/drivers/index.htm

Where are all the examiners coming from? Same place they do now. It's a job like any other so simply recruit and train them.

It would take maybe a couple of years true but why should it be any more difficult than recruiting and training a production crew? Toyota did it in Derby. Nissan did it in Sunderland...

Just rang RoSPA the web site is confusing, it is free for the assessment, £55 to become a member.

• Upvote 1