23 minutes ago, Brew said:

It would take maybe a couple of years true but why should it be any more difficult than recruiting and training a production crew? Toyota did it in Derby. Nissan did it in Sunderland...

Just rang RoSPA the web site is confusing, it is free for the assessment, £55 to become a member.

Well there are over five million drivers aged over 70 in the UK. A couple of years! You've got to be joking.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Crikey Owd Prince Phillips rolls his car at 97 ..... hope that wasn't miles per hour?  

Perhaps Phil will pop in to the Vernon arms for a quick Ouzo...................................as his bladders a bit dodgy

I know a psychiatrist, now retired. To be honest he’s one of the oddest people I’ve ever met. Highly intelligent. Just odd!

Five million sounds a lot but we don't have to test them all at once you know. Start with the eighty year olds and work down

It would be phased and you have to remember that training an examiner only takes six weeks! so a couple of years? easy peasy...

• Like 1

My aunt and Prince Phillip are both the same age as were talking about him giving up his licence  she announced she was still keeping hers, gobsmacked was an understatement I had no idea she still had one. Mum gave hers up long time ago when the arthritis spread into her hands, the thought that all she has to do is tick the right boxes and she could go on the road is scary.

14 minutes ago, Brew said:

Five million sounds a lot but we don't have to test them all at once you know. Start with the eighty year olds and work down

It would be phased and you have to remember that training an examiner only takes six weeks! so a couple of years? easy peasy...

They’re not the most dangerous drivers. I don’t think the costs could be justified. Who’s going to fund it? There are more urgent calls on taxpayers’ money. I think it’s a non starter. Maybe if it was introduced gradually as drivers became 70 it could be phased in but it would be virtually impossible, financially, to set up the infrastructure to test five million drivers.

• Upvote 1

Didn't say they were the most dangerous. The idea of starting with them is the fact there are fewer eighty year old driving than seventy yr olds and thus gives time to gather the infrastructure needed. Cost? who funds the test now, who funds MOTs?  - just make them self financing. With your background I'm sure you can see how it could be made to stand on it's own. I'm also sure you will know that even a loss to the treasury can still be good for the economy.

I think there are more worthwhile projects for the government to pursue. I don’t think this ranks highly in there being much cost benefit. It’s all blown up because of the Duke’s carelessness. Now he’s surrendered his licence I don’t think the DPP will take it any further. Even if the other driver was speeding, which can probably be proven from her car’s electronics, I doubt she will be prosecuted. It’s all been swept under the carpet now. There is the possibility of all cars being compulsorily fitted with ‘black boxes’ as some insurance companies insist on for younger drivers. That should remove the last bit of enjoyment from driving!

17 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

That should remove the last bit of enjoyment from driving!

I think we, you and I and people of our generation are the last to enjoy driving purely as a pastime, driving for the sake of it. Technology will eventually mean there will be no need for a licence, there will be no private vehicles. It may be down the road awhile yet but it's coming.

• Like 1

Yes, I agree. I’m squeezing the last bit of pleasure out of driving whilst I still can but it’s getting more and more difficult to find uncongested roads and you just can’t go hurtling past people without drawing attention to yourself. Scotland and Wales come to mind for good, deserted driving roads but the police do seem to lurk around to discourage the tourists. I have never collected any points on my licence so I don’t want to start now. If I was told I only had a week to live I might just hurtle down the Fosse at 170 but I can’t really imagine that scenario! 

• Upvote 1