I went to Lenton Primary in the 70s, I can remember meeting Doug Scott who came to the school after his conquest of Everest, his wife Jan Scott was a teacher there, the council closed this school a couple of years ago, it is now going to reopen as a part of Dunkirk primary school.

Has any other school be renamed, after a different area?

They are finally demolishing Dunkirk fire station, would that have not made a perfect site for the expansion of Dunkirk primary school?

Has any other school be renamed, after a different area?

When I was a kid on Clifton there were two junior schools near where we lived; one was called Brinkhill Juniors because it was on Brinkhill Crescent, and the other was called Greencroft Juniors because it was on a road called Greencroft. That made sense.

Around 10 years ago the two schools were merged into one, and it is now called Dovecote Primary School. There are no dovecotes nearby. So the sensible local connection was lost.

They are finally demolishing Dunkirk fire station, would that have not made a perfect site for the expansion of Dunkirk primary school?

Yes it would, but that's a intelligent idea and councils don't think like that do they?!

from what i have been told by locals from dunkerk and lenton this idea was considered but was turned down by the education commititee due to its position on the island and the dangers to the children.the other big facture is that dunkirk and edna g olds school are now over crowded and children from that side of the catchment area will mainly be put into the old lenton school with the hope of helping with over crowding at both schools and meaning thouse children wont have so far to walk in all weather along busy rds to get to and from school.

at the time lenton school was clossed numbers at all three schools were dropping so it was decided to close one to save money numbers of young children in the area are once again raising and the two remaining schools are now over crowded.