I was thinking about my time at Basford Hall College and I remembered "Embassy Tyres" I seem to recall it being a huge tyre discount place on Nuthall Road, almost on the corner of Bells Lane. I don't suppose it's still there is it?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No it isn't. The tyre place was nearer to Bells Lane.  Bells Lane is the crossroads near the top of the picture. Access to Embassy Tyres was via a lane off Bells Lane running along the railway line vi

Don't think so Loppy,......lots of changes in last few years along Nuthal rd between Boxtowe and Bells lane........new Tyre and exhaust place,Kentucky Chicken,where the Park Tavern was,Basford hall co

I had some tyres from Embassy tyres about a year ago while chatting to the chap I remarked that I had my first motorbike off his dad when he had the garage at basford near saxbys  he said you didn't t

OK taken a look, and every time it's mentioned it was because of the railway line that ran around the back of it. Don't think anyone has actually talked about the tyre shop. I'm sure someone passes it regularly, how about you Jackson, you have to.

Think you are talking re Embassy Tyres? still there accessed from the dirt track at back (former pit railway line) I've an idea (from my mother) it was run by some well known basford bloke, had one of those names everyone knew cept I can't recall it! ala billy bacon, (but not him) about 2 years ago was advertising wheel alignment service, I once took a reliant there for mot, failed as they all did on chassis corrosion! he might have had the garage top corner of Cowley Street pre demo of area for Basford flats?

I'd forgotten about those woods. I played with a girl called Zillah Ratcliffe who lived in that bit of Tilbury. Thought her name very exotic!

Really strange those woods being there Katyjay, I mean who would have thought of having a wood opposite council houses on Tilbury Rise and also at the edge of the estate? Still, now I come to think of it Broxtowe Woods were situate in a similar environment: within a place we knew as 'The Frying Pan' and also at the edge of an estate.

I remember Zillah Ratcliffe; lovely name, unusual - especially for a kid off a council estate. She had a sister, can't think of her name. I believe Zillah went to work in America at an early age; something brave back then - but any girl would have succeeded with a name like 'Zillah'.

I used to do a bit of work for them (Bodywork resprays)when i had my Bodyshop in Cinderhill.

Also for Swans car hire just a bit down the road.

Think you are talking re Embassy Tyres? still there accessed from the dirt track at back (former pit railway line) I've an idea (from my mother) it was run by some well known basford bloke, had one of those names everyone knew cept I can't recall it! ala billy bacon, (but not him) about 2 years ago was advertising wheel alignment service, I once took a reliant there for mot, failed as they all did on chassis corrosion! he might have had the garage top corner of Cowley Street pre demo of area for Basford flats?

Seem to recall his name was Adrian --- dark glasses and a 'tache

\snip\

Also for Swans car hire just a bit down the road.

I'm fairly sure that Swans was the place my dad used to hire a car from in the 50s and early 60s in order to take us on the odd day trip during his annual holiday leave. Once had a Morris 8 that shed a hubcap on Wragby level crossing. Had to fetch it back from on the railway line.

I remember before Swan had it...Pearces Ice Cream had a place round the back...we used to check out the bins for ices thrown out...usually found some.God knows how we didn't get salmonella.There were a load of these dumped there...they'd be worth a few quid now.

b17192dc.jpg

You didn't get Saddam and Ella because we all ate a bit of dirt from time to time and had more immunity than folks have today. Not saying we were totally immune, just more so than now.

• Upvote 1

re your photo poohbear, that must have been one hell of a crash! (the bike running into the freezer) it's pushed the headstock right back, was the rider ok? teach him not to ride on the pavement!

(sorry! but at first glance that's what I saw!) I know, should have gone to specsavers etc, never ever saw one of those on the road, must have been hard work up hills etc

Now Plantfit, you're going to have to tell us the advantage of a trike over a bike....Please.

Old fag packets were less swappable so I used them instead.

You've always got somewhere to sit/lay when you pull up at the pub, slow as hell going up hill but goes like stink down hill and just a bit faster on the flat as opposed to a diamond framed bike

Rog

• 4 years later...

Embassy tyres still there............I still use it,have done for 30years..........same bloke as well,can't remember his name,always full of chat.........prices reasonable....never feel ripped off..............

• Upvote 1

Is Swan Self Drive still over on Nuthall Rd., Ben?  Probably not now, or taken over by one of the biggies like Hertz.  I rented from them a time or two when I lived there.  Seemed like a good outfit.