Don't think so Loppy,......lots of changes in last few years along Nuthal rd between Boxtowe and Bells lane........new Tyre and exhaust place,Kentucky Chicken,where the Park Tavern was,Basford hall college encroached onto the road as well where another Pub was,the Tennis courts and Bowling also now deserted waiting some sort of re-development,plus speed limt now 30 mph...........Embassy tyres at the back of and above a couple of shops about the only place left with the Gateway Hotel...............

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No it isn't. The tyre place was nearer to Bells Lane.  Bells Lane is the crossroads near the top of the picture. Access to Embassy Tyres was via a lane off Bells Lane running along the railway line vi

Don't think so Loppy,......lots of changes in last few years along Nuthal rd between Boxtowe and Bells lane........new Tyre and exhaust place,Kentucky Chicken,where the Park Tavern was,Basford hall co

I had some tyres from Embassy tyres about a year ago while chatting to the chap I remarked that I had my first motorbike off his dad when he had the garage at basford near saxbys  he said you didn't t

Used to play a lot there Jill,when I lived nearby in the 80s.........keep saying going to take up Tennis again but will need a new 'Bat' to say nowt of Balls...........and somebody to beat,..........someone just told me its  Raquet'...I know you seen the prices ?..............

Also Loppy,do you remember the sports field at the back of Basford Hall Miners welfare.?.......used to play football for Park Tavern there plus Cricket for a couple of teams,.........always a nice venue at the side of small wood which backed on to Bagnall road............all gone now covered in housing.

2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Embassy tyres still there............I still use it,have done for 30years..........same bloke as well,can't remember his name,always full of chat.........prices reasonable....never feel ripped off..............

Embassy tyres has a for sale notice on it, I don't think it will be the business, probably the buildings and land.

I see the owner most mornings waiting for the bus on Wollaton vale.

On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2012 at 11:24 AM, jackson said:

This area backs on to a surprising little wood on Tilbury Rise - lots of trees. As a child, I used to go exploring in here. :)

I remember the area as my hubby and his dad ran a butchers at 28 Bells Lane called Joe Taylor & Son........we lived behind the shop for a few years, My friend Mary Lucas lived on Tilbury Rise, maybe she is still there........the area has changed so much in the 30 years since we left............Embassy Tyres across the road belonged to John Simpkin's family.......

On 19/06/2012 at 9:49 PM, Compo said:

That's amazing - he must be about three hundred years old by now!

It was John Simpkin who will be in his 70's now..........My hubby Malc Taylor owned the butcher's shop at the bottom of Bells Lane and we were friendly with them, not seen or heard of them for years - he married his secretary Sue and moved onto Parkside in Wollaton, that was back in the 1970's............

My hubby and his dad owned the butcher's shop at the bottom of Bells Lane, Joe Taylor & Son.........We left 30 years ago and the area has changed a lot, looks shabby, there was a Newsagent's next door..........The 2 shops have been taken over by our Asian friends.........

38. Doesn't sound like there's much greenery left there now Ben.  They built Basford hall college right alongside the Wimpey estate there.  That was the end of the view from our back beroom window.  It started to feel claustrophobic.  I well remember the tennis courts and the bowling on the corner of Stockhill lane.  Nice little spot.

Been many years since I was along that way and it was never a 'stomping ground' for me.  Just two memories stand out.  First, I'm pretty sure Embassy Tyres was where we bought four cheap tyres for the Bedford Dormobile we bought for carting the Magic Roundabout Disc Show gear about.  We paid £4 each for the tyres and £75 for the van. That would be 1967/8.

From 1966-68 I worked at the Coal Board labs on Cinder Hill Road, just opposite Bagnall Lane.  I would often wander up to the butcher's on Bell's Lane to get a lump of steak for Friday tea.  Everybody else in the house had Fish and Chips.  I don't much like fish.

I frequented them when I was a kid with my minis and old vehicles. But I wouldn't entertain cheapos nowadays. 

And  as for these twerps who buy used tyres. Well, I find it unbelievable. They don't know what they're buying.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Whilst I am sure that there are 'duff' tyres about, I was very impressed on a visit to a 'Bandag' plant in Wigan some years ago. The process for stripping off a worn tread and then fitting a new one via a heat treatment process in an 'autoclave', was pretty high tech.

It seems that typically, a company buying a new wagon would get all but the steering tyres replaced with 'Bandag' re treads, which are very hard wearing.  They woud then use all the original tyres on the steering wheels , sending them to Bandag for re-treading when they wore out.

http://www.bandag.eu/bandag-eu/English/A-Bandag-is-always-a-Bandag/Myths-about-retreading.html

Col

I had some tyres from Embassy tyres about a year ago while chatting to the chap I remarked that I had my first motorbike off his dad when he had the garage at basford near saxbys  he said you didn't that was my granddad I retired suitably chastened  I feel really old now ha ha  meeowed

• Upvote 2
  • 11 months later...

I remember all the handwritten cards with the various car accessories. They sold exhausts the size of the channel tunnel with the delicately phrased " let that bleddy bogga roar" - the spelling, presumably, to avoid the attentions of the local constabulary.

Must admit I never had any problems with the retreads from Embassy. I think they were Firestone. Do they still do retreads for cars? I certainly wouldn’t  fit them on either of our cars now. When I ran company trucks we would have the treads recut but that facility was built into the tyre construction.

We used to get re-treads for the loading shovels in the quarry, 4 grand a pop

Hill_Head_2012_(8).jpg

This is a new one,about 6 grand each

Rog

• Like 1

No it isn't. The tyre place was nearer to Bells Lane.  Bells Lane is the crossroads near the top of the picture. Access to Embassy Tyres was via a lane off Bells Lane running along the railway line visible running parallel to Nuthall Road. You can see said lane along side the railway line. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The arrow seems to point to where the Park Tavern was. Now Iceland.

I've got to go with pianoman on this. Iceland (Park Tavern) is almost adjacent to the church just round the bend. Embassy tyres is about level with that cul de sac of council houses (Halstead Close) showing light color roofs where the railway tracks diverge away from that row of trees. Opposite the now Hilton hotel. According to goggly earth/maps anyway.

You are all wrong. The old Park Tavern can be seen above the roof of the church. It has a small triangular gable. The later Park Tavern was built on the open area in front of the old pub - in other words it stood back from the road.

Embassy was opposite where you can see a tree's foliage over the road.

The red arrow is pointing to what I recall as the Co-op's distribution building. There was also the church hall, where Katyjay had her wedding do.  

Somewhere just above the arrow, a bomb fell during the war.

The building on the right (near top) of picture is the Miners' Welfare, known to all as the Creepers.

The road coming in from the bottom right corner is Dark Lane, actually a track for the Ripley trams, exiting onto Nuthall Road at the Red Lion - the old pub being shown here.

Amesbury Circus is at top left corner, noted for the residence of Chulla and his sister.

• Like 1