3 hours ago, Chulla said:

Embassy was opposite where you can see a tree's foliage over the road.

Thatsworrased!   Embassy was nearer Bells Lane.  :)

• Like 1
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No it isn't. The tyre place was nearer to Bells Lane.  Bells Lane is the crossroads near the top of the picture. Access to Embassy Tyres was via a lane off Bells Lane running along the railway line vi

Don't think so Loppy,......lots of changes in last few years along Nuthal rd between Boxtowe and Bells lane........new Tyre and exhaust place,Kentucky Chicken,where the Park Tavern was,Basford hall co

I had some tyres from Embassy tyres about a year ago while chatting to the chap I remarked that I had my first motorbike off his dad when he had the garage at basford near saxbys  he said you didn't t

What strikes me as odd in the photograph  is the football pitch on Cinder Hill Park marked out at an angle to everything.

Many years ago I saw an aerial photo taken just outside of the above one, outside of the top right corner, over the road to Bulwell. It showed an overhead cable system taking coal from the pit to the big concrete Sun Coal buildings, where it was compressed into ovals for burning. It might have been taken at the same time as the above. See if you can find it, please,. CT. 

Sun Coal was a German company and just days before the war was declared in 1939 they scarpered, leaving everything behind.

My assumption about the location of Embassy was based on this map from the early 50s. I guessed it was the place marked "Warehouse" (now identified by Chulla as the co-op distribution building, and the church hall immediately beyond) but I can see now it is further along. In fact beyond "The Elms"  on the other side of the road. 

ziZhuXi.jpg

What I see as missing is that there is no island of any nature at Cinderhill bottom of Bells Lane, nor is there that short steep hill that used to exist at the bottom of Bells Lane. It was planed out somewhat when the current traffic island was built. I well remember 6 wheeled trolley buses having to screw themselves round the original tiny roundabout. The picture must be post 1930, so when did the first island appear?

Difficult to tell even via several maps, but by a process of elimination it seems to have first appeared in the early 50s.

This is from a bit later than that, but is still a much smaller roundabout than the present version.

Uw4XIyI.jpg

Looking back towards 'Embassy' somewhere on the right.

• Like 1

The photo shows bottom of Bells Lane just before the drastic changes to feed the M1 traffic. You can see the trolley bus turning-wires, but can't see the wires for the Midland General trolley buses - probably finished running when the photo was taken. The big house on the right was Toll House - it had a small sign on it saying this. I suppose it dates back to times when there was a toll to pay.

In front of the house you can see a row of five 'new' houses. Immediately beyond them was Embassy. In one of the houses just before the five lived 'Oily' Carslake, the motorcycle historian.

PM asks when the first island appeared.  On the Cinderhill thread I posted some 1927 (I think) photos when the bottom of Bells Lane was made as you see it above, except the island is very small. The short, steep hill begins to the right of the car.

Incidentally, The photographer is in Nuthall. Just around the corner past the bushes was the country boundary marker. From here to Nottingham, blue buses could only drop passengers of, not pick them up. Going the other way they could pick up passengers in Nottingham but not drop them off till after Bells Lane.

4 hours ago, Chulla said:

Many years ago I saw an aerial photo taken just outside of the above one, outside of the top right corner, over the road to Bulwell. It showed an overhead cable system taking coal from the pit to the big concrete Sun Coal buildings, where it was compressed into ovals for burning. It might have been taken at the same time as the above. See if you can find it, please,. CT. 

The photos I've been looking at include Babbington Colliery and towards Nuthall, but not towards Bulwell, so I don't think they'd cover the relevant area.