Victoria Embankment revamp

Welcome news if it happens.

Victoria Embankment revamp

Visited there a couple of weeks ago supporting the 'Race for Life' events. Similarly, the only day's I generally spend there are Nottingham Marathon Sundays but with a bit of time to look around and take things in this time around, I couldn't help feeling what a criminal waste this place is. Pretty well everything closed with little in the way of facilities apart from temporary - even on an event day, crumbling buildings.

The embankment should be an asset to Nottingham. I used to get taken there as a kid occasionally and find it sad the way it has been allowed to deteriorate over the years. Hopefully this report will herald better times.

Surely the "ultimate Frisbee area" is some kind of joke........

Apart from that, a large open, green space next to the river should definitely be preserved and upgraded. The cafe has looked like an abandoned after-thought for several years; you almost can't tell if it's open or not. Is the bandstand is ever used these days? In the 70s it was used as a venue for the "Castle Rock"events with local groups, and before then I can remember being there with my parents and seeing brass bands playing on a Sunday evening.

One of the main improvements which could be made is to block the road off to stop it being used as a rat run from Trent Bridge to Wilford Toll Bridge. There have always been signs saying "No through road" but they are ignored and never enforced. And the speed limit is supposedly 20; but for some reason the jobsworths in the camera van don't seem to want to get a few easy targets along there.

I noticed also the public toilets near Trent Bridge appeared to be closed at the moment also - replaced by some temporary construction. Were they not listed?

The cafe was closed a week on Sunday ago when I visited. There were two events (races) there morning and afternoon with thousands of visitors. If they weren't open then when would they be?

Of course the ubiquitous fun fair was present - with hardly a soul on it.

Sad stuff - come on Nottingham - pull your socks up!

• 6 years later...
  • 6 months later...

I certainly remember the NCT mobile caff which always parked up by the gents.

As to the coffee van, interesting, I never saw that. Initial thought, it certainly looks like the Embankment, parked opposite side to the paddling pool/swings/bowling green etc along that stretch to the Toll Bridge with the low wall. However, the background and certainly that black thing by the windscreen makes me think it might not actually be the Embankment. Any further info, Ian?

• Like 2
3 hours ago, TBI said:

I certainly remember the NCT mobile caff which always parked up by the gents.

As to the coffee van, interesting, I never saw that. Initial thought, it certainly looks like the Embankment, parked opposite side to the paddling pool/swings/bowling green etc along that stretch to the Toll Bridge with the low wall. However, the background and certainly that black thing by the windscreen makes me think it might not actually be the Embankment. Any further info, Ian?

Bus crews in those days never had an official break, grab a mashing when you can !

• Like 3

Great, cheers Ian and Robbie. Makes sense now, it didn't sit right did it, folk didn't bother about having coffee 'on the go' back in the day. The few that did, happy with a wazzy one in those scalding thin plastic cups from the refreshment kiosk. The b&w pic is where I thought it was, opposite the swings, the buildings just seen at the back the new bigger school, not the old lower Roland Green. I see the blokes got chairs and tables, the black thing looks like it might be a parasol folded down....sussed.. Ta again..:biggrin:

• Like 1