You learn something new everyday

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Isn't Iceland  known for its volcanoes?  That would probably mean sulpherous soil.  Between Sprouts grown in sulpher and Marmite you should be able to have a room all to yourself.   

No: They made a mistake they were really trying to land in Tibet  

Now why spoil a good thing?

I had to stop eating sprouts when I was in my 20's, used to give me extreme guts ache with the inevitable flatulence, the latter I could almost stand, the smell was horrific..!!

Now I enjoy them with no discomfort except the after smell and loud flapping of a certain lower muscle......LOL Stupid smiles don't work again!!

We oldies don't have a lot to look forward too, don't spoil our fun........LOL

On the subject of Nobs: if you like them sweet grow the variety Trafalgar. They are the sweetest tasting nobs you can ever hope to put into your mouth. Trafalgar are a mid season variety, best after the early frosts and are so sweet that even children like them.

The trick is to pick and cook them in a single session. The minute they are picked the sugars begin to turn into starches which cause a bitter taste. Don't overcook them but boil gently until firm and crisp but cooked through.

I will use that website for my seeds next time - they're much cheaper than the big boys! Ta for the link Mick

• 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Sprouts are the spawn of Satan ! They were designed to be bane of recycled teenagers, guaranteed to embarras  at the worst possible moment. Personally, I much prefer them chopped and stir fried with chicken and noodles, with a few water chestnuts on the side. Maybe they are made to ensure we all have bubble baths ! Beekay.

• Like 1
On 6/25/2012 at 1:41 PM, Ayupmeducks said:

I'd like to know how they stop lettuces bolting in hot climates like California though, never had any success growing them during our hot summers

Yuma is the lettuce growing capital of the world, and it doesn't get any hotter than there. There is obviously a knack there to not getting bolted lettuce.

I tried that, but the buggers chewed through the leash.

Try hiding their teeth or better than that, keep 'em in a corral and make sure you lock the gate and stash the key. Good luck..

No, your right Den. But if you used iceberg lettuce you could always defrost them and that would stop their gallivanting. I think if it was Rocket one would have to refuse access to the launch pad. That might help, or am I just being silly?

• 3 weeks later...