bamber

You learn something new everyday

Someone could make a fortune if they could grow "flatulent" free sprouts.;)

But that's the whole point of nobby greens...................... slywink

I had to stop eating sprouts when I was in my 20's, used to give me extreme guts ache with the inevitable flatulence, the latter I could almost stand, the smell was horrific..!!

Now I enjoy them with no discomfort except the after smell and loud flapping of a certain lower muscle......LOL Stupid smiles don't work again!!

Someone could make a fortune if they could grow "flatulent" free sprouts. ;)

Now why spoil a good thing? thumbsup

• Upvote 1

We oldies don't have a lot to look forward too, don't spoil our fun........LOL

Parents used to say not to eat them untill after they had a good frost. I think that is one for the time when we ate seasonable veg unlike now when we get anything at any time of the year.

30 posts on the subject of brussels....you lot amaze me... :tease:

poohbear

Member Since 12 Jul 2008

Poohbear, I thought you would have sussed this out before now :)

I don't read these posts...I just glance at them.

On the subject of Nobs: if you like them sweet grow the variety Trafalgar. They are the sweetest tasting nobs you can ever hope to put into your mouth. Trafalgar are a mid season variety, best after the early frosts and are so sweet that even children like them.

The trick is to pick and cook them in a single session. The minute they are picked the sugars begin to turn into starches which cause a bitter taste. Don't overcook them but boil gently until firm and crisp but cooked through.

I will use that website for my seeds next time - they're much cheaper than the big boys! Ta for the link Mick

I used to use Thompson & Morgan in the 70s.

Trafalgar is an F1 variety.

Always loved sprouts, even as a child.

On 6/24/2012 at 6:50 PM, bamber said:

I'd never realized, until today, that nobby greens is a peculiarly Nottingham name for Brussels sprouts. I love 'em.

Soft or crunchy?

Sprouts are the spawn of Satan ! They were designed to be bane of recycled teenagers, guaranteed to embarras  at the worst possible moment. Personally, I much prefer them chopped and stir fried with chicken and noodles, with a few water chestnuts on the side. Maybe they are made to ensure we all have bubble baths ! Beekay.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2012 at 1:41 PM, Ayupmeducks said:

I'd like to know how they stop lettuces bolting in hot climates like California though, never had any success growing them during our hot summers

Yuma is the lettuce growing capital of the world, and it doesn't get any hotter than there. There is obviously a knack there to not getting bolted lettuce.

Tie the lettuce down on a short leash or perhaps use a hobble. That'll stop the bu99ers from bolting !

I tried that, but the buggers chewed through the leash.

Try hiding their teeth or better than that, keep 'em in a corral and make sure you lock the gate and stash the key. Good luck..

No, your right Den. But if you used iceberg lettuce you could always defrost them and that would stop their gallivanting. I think if it was Rocket one would have to refuse access to the launch pad. That might help, or am I just being silly?