Hiya everyone. I suffer from weak lower back muscles. I bent down to give my great aunty a cuddle last week and my back went on me yet again. Its right across my lower back and around the hips, Ive just started a new job and dont really want to take time off. Im taking high dose co-codomol. Is there any advice from anyone else in here who has suffered the same to help me out????

I had a bad attack a couple of weeks ago.

It was a sciatic nerve problem, and travelled from my back

down my right leg, and to my calf.

The pain was like a red hot knife sticking in my calf and being twisted.

Never had it before. Worst pain I ever had

I was taking Paracetamol, Ibuprofen and Codeine on prescription.

You have to take 2 of them alternately, I cant remember the sequence.

Ask Your Doctor or ring the NHS help line.

You wont get Codeine without prescription.

Touch wood, the bad attacks stopped within a few days and

No problems since.

Not sure if it's a similar problem, but several years ago I gradually developed a feeling of a trapped nerve or numbness around my lower back/leg. My doctor gave me a piece of paper with hand-drawn diagrams (probably drawn by him) of exercises which involved bending, stretching, leaning, etc.

After doing those exercises for a few weeks they were a spectacular success in making the problem much better, and although it can occasionally return in a mild way, it has never been anywhere near as bad as it had been (and it had been getting gradually worse for several years)

jimmy try heat packs or the heat plasters you can buy like mick i alternate my paracetamol and ibruperfen

Are you sure it's muscular and not some thing different?

If you take any type of pain medication on a regular basis,be sure to drink plenty of water, at least 8 12oz glasses a day. Your kidneys need to be flushed out,due to drug intake.

I had a sciatica problem a few years ago. Pain from my lower down the back of my thigh, feeling like a nerve streched tight. Standing, sitting, walking or lying down gave no relief. Doctor prescribed a fairly strong anti-inflammatory drug together with pain killers, but warned me not to take the anti-inflammatory for more than a couple of weeks owing to its potential effect on the stomach lining. I then went to a chiropractor and got pretty good relief after three or four visits. Not cheap (about £23 a session then - say 10 years ago). She also recommended exercises, and a cold pack rather than heat. (I had already discovered that a hot bath gave immediate relief, but the pain quickly returned even worse later).

Daft as it sounds, have you tried doing a bit of cycling? nothing too energetic and on an old fashioned type bike, ie sit up and beg type you know straight handlebars, once you get going you are excercising all your back muscles as well as arms and legs without putting any pressure or strain on them, just thought you might like to try as an alternative to drugs

good luck

Rog

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The physiotherapist once gave me a chart of exercises for my lower back. It hurt to do them so I stopped. I still have back pain almost continually and it becomes worse with heavy work. Swimming has certainly helped the missus with her back and might be worth a try. I must get the bike out and do some cycling again - I'm sure that used to help too.

FFS Go to your doc and get him to send you for a CT scan.

If your problem is a damaged disc then no matter what excercise you do or what pain killers you take it will NOT be fixed.

The only hope of a permanent fix is surgery and even that is not a 100% guarantee.

I have a lower back that resembles a Meccano set now after surgery to fix the damage done by a fall at work,but,I don't have the pain that went before surgery any longer.

Baz :ninja:

mick2me, to get that pain back try cutting a high hedge! I got it last year and diagnosed as sciatica, was asked re anything done unusual, I doubted doctors word re cause but did one side of hedge this year and back it came!

Lower back pain can be caused by kidney problems associated with an enlarged prostate. A simple PSA blood test will tell you more.

In fact all men of our age group should be getting tested regularly. I, like many others ignored the symptons, one of which was lower back pain.

Fortunately when I did eventually get the blood test, it was not too late, but if I had had it done earlier it would have saved me much discomfort.

here here old ace like you as you know piggy was diagnosed with prostrate cancer nearly five years ago i made hime go to the drs very early and he only had to have hormone and radiology treatments and isnow doing well but many men ignor the symptoms and have to have much more evasive treatment. and a simple blood test if you start getting any symptoms could really help prevent that..

Don't even wait until you get any symptoms, in some men there are no symptons until its too late for a curative treatment. I'd had niggling but not too troublesome symptons for years, almost imperceptably they got worse over a period of two or three years.

A year last February I watched a programme about Bob Monkhouse's prostate cancer, and how he coped with the illness that eventually killed him, in the programme he recommended that all middle-aged men shouild get tested.

The following day I phoned my GP and he saw me within three hours. That began a procedure that lead to a difficult 5 1/2 hour operation.

After the op. I was told that there was a 60% chance that it had been a success, I have had 3 quarterly blood tests since then, and they have all been negative. If I had had a blood test before any symptons, or when the symptons first appeared, I could have had the hormone and radiology like Piggy.

So, if there are any men reading this who have not had a PSA blood test, please get one and save yourself a lot hassle.

As the Floyd said 'it's just a liitle pin prick'

I tore both trapezoid muscles years ago at work, cost me a few days off work, never went to the quacks, but should have done. Hardly bothered me for years, I did have a dull ache in the lower back from it. Eventually it got worse and I thought I'd got kidney stones big time, went to the quacks and she gave me the dope on it, kidneys are fine your traps are the cause, DON'T lift anything over 5lbs from now on!!! Yeah right!!

Nowt they can do for me now, probably couldn't when I had the injury either if the truth were know.