Right,was at the Archives last week looking for burials of family member,the internment certificate(if thats what it is called) gave this as her address where she had died.Duke street and Newark street are at the back of St Stephen's church,however i cannot find Wellington Yard.Thanks

Hazel

I would imagine locally that would be known as Wellington yard even if it didn't have an official name...I'm curious about the buildings red arrowed...the access to them is through the covered gateway at the side of the pub blue arrowed.There is no other access to these buildings....storage/workshops/cottages....who knows.If they are houses there are others of similar size in other yards.(green dots)

7c341cd5.jpg

• Upvote 1

homegirl101

The following link confirms that the Duke of Wellington Yard did exist - http://twgpp.org/information.php?id=2347303

Searches of other archives reveal other soldiers dying in the Irish Rebellion in 1916 and their parents being from 3 Newark Street.

Checking all the relevant websites, the houses of that time and area all seemed to be 3 storey terrace houses, some with back yards for the 'genteel' people whereas the workers had nothing but a brick construction of one room for each floor, not even a back door or yard. Perhaps these could be the homes for the workers at the Malthouse, Lace factories and the Hosiery back then. As poohbear points out, there are certainly many such buildings of similar size throughout the area, particularly in the various yards. Of course, some could well be workshops, stables and carriage houses for the transport side of the businesses. My money would be on terrace houses.

Found a description in one Archive of the housing from that time and it did not paint a pretty picture. They were referred to as Cyril Cottages but there is no reference on Google to these buildings: -

"Consisted of terrace housing either side of what effectively became an open yard. Each house was just one room deep with a living room on the ground floor and a bedroom on first and second floor levels plus a cellar below ground. There wasn't a backyard or even a back door because another row of terraced properties, known as Cyril Cottages, was built up against our rear wall.

Our living room was also our kitchen. Set within the fireplace was a boiler from which hot water could be scooped using a ladle. Cooking was carried out in iron pots placed on the fire; we did have the additional luxury of a single gas ring, which could be used to boil a kettle or heat a small saucepan. Our living room also incorporated our bathroom. In one corner stood the sink with tap positioned above. Here we washed both the pots and ourselves. A toilet block was situated at the top of the yard and two households would have to share each toilet.

Also found another reference for you at:

http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Place:Nottingham_Registration_District,_1891_Census_Street_Index_C-F

Scroll down the page and find the reference for the Duke of Wellington Yard and then try searching the National Archives or, contacting them direct.

Have fun.

There was another "Duke of Wellington".

It was on Mount East Street"......Mount East Street ran From Lower Parliament Street to Charlotte Street and was part of the area cleared when victoria Station was built.

The odd shaped thing in the middle of Manvers Street on the map is a "gentlemans" urinal.

Nine stables?....As I said they might be workshops.

Stables?

I doubt it given the area(very poor working class)

There is a wall running from the side of the pub quite clear on my map( I have an original)so I doubt if they are anything to do with the pub.

I do think they are houses as they are of the same size as most of the "back to backs" built in that area.

Evening Bubblewrap,

It would seem the likely answer regarding the square buildings. I scanned around the neighbourhood and they are all over Sneinton and vary in size. Some have small attachments to them that are probably the dunnies and some have back yards. Glad I never had to live there back in those days.

I think the gravestone address confirms that the Duke of Wellington Yard did exist and was attached to Newark Street. It is logical that that yard is at the rear of the pub with the same name.

Not being able to find any reference to Duke Street threw me until I was checking Lower Eldon Street on PTP. There is a lane way just north of Newark Street on the right of the picture called Rock Terrace.

Your original map may show a Duke Street/Lane/etc.

Digging around for images of the area doesn't produce very much, but here's a couple of attempts

Picture the Past shows the backyards of Kingston Street http://www.pictureth...000958&prevUrl=

which was just round the corner from the Duke of Wellington

kingston1.jpg

And this is Newark Street at some time in its past, looking up at the west side; you can see trees in St Stephen's churchyard at the top far right. Looking at the map above, these buildings are about level with the word "Street"

newark.jpg

Amazing that in 1882 they could provide urinals all over the town...in this case in between three pubs.Maybe todays councillors should take note.

You should see the number of loos in the city centre during the 1950s

I have all the city centre on maps 50" to the mile.

Thanks again everyone,most of my grandmothers family lived around Lower Eldon street and the back end of St Stephen's church,not pretty in the 1930s.However they did have a Pork butcher doing buisness at 114 Sneinton Boulavard untill 1914.Something else i'm looking into.

My other half was born on St Stephens Road behind the church,he can remember going to Hobsons Timber to get firewood to start the coal fire he also remembers cutting through Woodland St onto Beamont St to fetch fresh faggots from a house near where the bombs fell.

Heres the post from another thread...

I found the map showing all the bombs dropped on Nottingham during WW2, it's quite interesting, but tragic when you study it:-

scan0059.jpg

I didn't realise how close they got to the Council House, after Vic station I reckon.

They must have got confused and thought that Notts would be the football power post war.