Olympic Torch in Nottingham

Well, it's arriving in Market Square tomorrow apparently (6.45pm). There's a 'bit of a do' in the square to commemorate it with entertainment and a few discount deals in nearby eateries etc. afterwards. Trent Barton buses are offering travellers a flat rate £2 return ticket to town on any service after 4pm.

Details

Understand there's some kind of event at the Ice Arena featuring Torville and Dean - tickets long sold out apparently.

Must admit, I enjoy the Olympics but I'm left a bit cold about the torch celebrations. Doesn't really do much for me. I talked to a friend in Edinburgh recently and he mentioned that he's stood out in the street for some considerable time with his young son to see the torch - only to see it pass by at 40mph on a bus!

Anyway, enjoy it anyone that goes.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ha ha you miserable fuck3rs have another one Look @ the happy smiling faces !!

There are one or two cynics on this website that rival Victor Meldrew

Sounds like the large crowd had a really good time in Nottingham yesterday. Good to see it's not all gloom and doom. http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Crowd-18-000-Olympic-torch-arrive-city-centre/st

Must admit, I enjoy the Olympics but I'm left a bit cold about the torch celebrations. Doesn't really do much for me. I talked to a friend in Edinburgh recently and he mentioned that he's stood out in the street for some considerable time with his young son to see the torch - only to see it pass by at 40mph on a bus!

Anyway, enjoy it anyone that goes.

There are sections of the route labelled as 'in convoy' - not much point standing waiting along those as the flame / torch will be in a closed van.

"It's a once in a lifetime thing!" I keep hearing...So is me waking up tomorrow morning...I don't get the attraction.It's just publicity for a spendathon where folks run a lot and chuck things.

Billions of pounds...and there's just been an Ad on the box begging me for money 'cos kids in this country are dying of Leukemia.

This house will be an Olympic free zone. I have no interest in it at all.

It's comming here next week, (Tuesday) :( :( it wil leven pass the end of my street (I'm staying in.)

Anyway will it all be gone in Nottingham to-morrow by lunch time? as I may be honouring Nottingham with a visit? ;)

It's passing my part of the world (the edge of West Bridgford) today - Thursday. I'm not going out, and anyway it will be impossible to drive anywhere from early afternoon. It's a plot to make people watch television and go to pubs.

I may do some painting, and then watch it dry.

It's passing my part of the world (the edge of West Bridgford) today - Thursday. I'm not going out, and anyway it will be impossible to drive anywhere from early afternoon. It's a plot to make people watch television and go to pubs.

I may do some painting, and then watch it dry.

Go to the pub?

I'll drink to that who's round is it?

Like many other things, sad to say, the Olympic games seems to have lost out to big money sponsors.

Watching a program on BBC America,it first spoke about the money to be made from the games being held in England. The reason for the event is not what it first started out to be.

I'll go to the beach and watch the tide come in.

Like many other things, sad to say, the Olympic games seems to have lost out to big money sponsors.

Similar to any other major sport these days I guess. I think we hold on to former aspirations we had of the spirit of the Olympics but sadly that seem long gone.

Cliff Ton sounds like he was planning an exciting and athletic day in West Bridgford. My daughter is visiting Nottingham for a job interview at 9.30 tomorrow morning. She needs to travel from Basford to Trent University, and guess what time the wretched torch will be creating mayhem and confusion on Gregory Boulevard and all viable alternative routes between the two!

Yes, we checked that as the preferred option, but apparently there will be a "moving roadblock" which will stop any trams from crossing Gregory Boulevard while the flame and its entourage pass by - estimated as 8.50 - 9.00. We have advised her to be on a tram by about 8.15 to make sure she is through before it all grinds to a halt.

I'll go to the beach and watch the tide come in.

If the tide goes out a long way...run like crap...it's a Tsunami...

Or you've gone too far and ended up in Skeg!

Yours. Oh no, Bubblewrap has just fainted..!!

I should be in

The Lincolnshire Poacher or The Organ Grinder or The Vat & Fiddle some time early this after noon

Without detracting from national pride.

The torch could have been brought in per tradition,

but did numerous torches have to be paraded around the country.

for most of the journey being in a van?

I would like to know what this has cost countrywide?

In these times of austerity a job lot of lighters from Poundland would have done just as well...

Also no need to use a van to travel between cities - send up a couple of dozen of those chinese lanterns and at least one would set fire to something vaguely near the intended destination.