Public toilets - where did they all go?

I suppose it could have been a house originally but I remember that end of the library as being private and accessed internally by a door with a Yale lock, used only by staff. It appears to be the only two storey area of the building. When first built, I believe it was a private subscription library. The rather grand entrance door at street level on the two storey area might suggest it was used for some other public purpose. Meeting rooms, perhaps?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The loss of public loos is purely down to misuse by druggies and faggots. Yet again, the law abiding suffer. I refuse to pay for a wee in these horrible cubicles, so dept stores or cafes have to suff

Hope they cleared everybody out first. In years to come it could be re-excavated, only to find a mummified corpse in one of the cubicles, still clutching his Sun.

Another almost forgotten topic within a topic is Lavatory Attendants as they were called, later Toilet Attendants, men for the men's & women for the women's. This job was given by the council to

Back in the early 1900s the building next door was a Fire Station, and I wonder if the toilets were originally part of that. The big wooden door could've been the entrance/exit for the fire engine.

Etq8bNB.jpg

I've seen the fire station marked on old maps, next to the police station which was still there and operating in my childhood. I think the fire station had gone by then but it's quite possible that the public loos were housed in a building which was once part of it.

• 7 months later...
On 4/5/2022 at 8:04 AM, trogg said:

Cliff Ton I find the map you posted very interesting, thanks for posting, I would appreciate it if you would let me know where the map is from. cheers.

I've just noticed this query and it looks as though I didn't reply, so 6 months late...........

it came from here - https://maps.nls.uk

• Like 1