Public toilets - where did they all go?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The loss of public loos is purely down to misuse by druggies and faggots. Yet again, the law abiding suffer. I refuse to pay for a wee in these horrible cubicles, so dept stores or cafes have to suff

Hope they cleared everybody out first. In years to come it could be re-excavated, only to find a mummified corpse in one of the cubicles, still clutching his Sun.

Another almost forgotten topic within a topic is Lavatory Attendants as they were called, later Toilet Attendants, men for the men's & women for the women's. This job was given by the council to

Amazing that in 1882 they could provide urinals all over the town...in this case in between three pubs.Maybe todays councillors should take note.

Great site for a urinal though. Crossing over between the 3 pubs on a local Saturday night pub crawl, if you didn't get flattened by a passing horse and buggy, you could take a break and a leak half way. Once empty, stagger on your way to the next pub and start all over again.

Those councillors had it right for once!

I was referring to the siting of the urinal in the middle of the road, poohbear; presumably erected in the hope that it would give people the chance to use something other than Ma Malone's freshly scrubbed doorstep.

Those drunks that use any doorway, alley or garden when they feel the urge to pi** or throw up are a problem down here as well. No consideration for others but must not stray from the topic or mick2me will get upset.

You should see the number of loos in the city centre during the 1950s

I have all the city centre on maps 50" to the mile.

I have been through my maps(early/mid 1950s) & I have found 14 locations of toilets/urinals in the central area of Nottingham, the only site to survive is Greyhound Street.

My list does not include the toilets on railway stations

Bet a number of those had attendants who spent their day cleaning, polishing the brass taps etc.

It looks as though this thread has gone to the sh*thouse! :rotfl:

One "toilet building" that survives is now a "fast food" place on Carrington street.

It's the one next to the canal bridge.

I wonder how many diners know of it's original use?

Another location which started life as a toilet and became something else is this hair salon in West Bridgford, opposite Asda.

https://maps.google....p=12,82.29,,0,0

There are two in Loughborough that people now live in & another that is a travel agents.

If a toilet can be famous this must qualify. It appears in many old photos, and was on Charlotte Street in the area which was cleared for the building of Victoria Station

http://www.pictureth...018072&prevUrl=

The one on Manvers Street was pretty much the same

And another at Canning Circus - the smaller building in the centre of the photo, below the gaslight

A few feet away from the well and pump...Hmmmm. :blink:

Makes yer think women dint wee back then.

I don't think in Victorian days they would admit that they had to... :blush:

There was a weighing machine there too in the 1880s...wonder what they used that for? I also read somewhere that a couple of wells locally were closed because of contamination from the cemetery....Nice!

Toilets that I remember around Nottm which have gone; Nottm Rd, Canning Circus, Wollaton Rd Radford, Nuthall Rd, Wilkinson St, Colwick Rd, Queens Dr. & many others also.

Inapropriate behaviour my A**E, more like the local council penny pinching & hoping no one would notice.

• Like 1