Cardale Road and Sneinton tunnel

I got this one from "Britain from the air". It shows a feature I'd never seen before; Sneinton tunnel on the Suburban Railway viewed from the south. You can see the cutting leading to the tunnel entrance at the bottom/centre of the photo. This is the tunnel which became (still is?) a rifle range, but is usually shown from the Carlton Road angle.

zqBwCqB.jpg

The road going left/right across the centre is Cardale Road - note no houses yet on the far side - with Carlton Road at the left, and Sneinton Dale is coming up from bottom right.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Hi i live on Cardale Road and see on the map that Cliff has posted, that there where just a few houses on Cardale at this time. I'd love to know the date of this map or when these first houses on Cardale where built. Thank you

I Used to live on Cardale Road as a kid. We used to get on the railway line at "the Ruined Station" da da daaaah!!! (Thorneywood Station), walk under Carlton Road, through the old tunnel (scary!! - Skippo's'll get yer! (the feared gang from Skipton Circus, which I think were a myth as I never saw anything of them)), over Sneinton Dale (bridge demolished years ago), and we'd come out (I think) close to Greenwood School. All the way from Thorneywood to Colwick Woods without crossing a road!!)

We got a big spanner and tried to get the doors off the station one Bonfire Night. If we'd succeeded in getting the nuts off and the door had fallen on us ......!

Happy Days!

• Upvote 1