Looks like this is an aerial shot of the 'never been seen before' Bulwell Hall Halt station (left middle) on the Great Central line. This is another shot from 'Britain from the Air'.

EPW020742.jpg

If that is a photo of the previous unseen station, it was found in less than 5 days since I posted the link to the aerial photo site, not bad when you consider that many people interested in local railways have been searching for an image for years.

All credit should go to Nottstalgia.

• 3 months later...

Yes that's got to be it, can see the access bridge to the golf club/park front centre, think on Lawton Drive? re the "old bridge" surely that was the "new one"? looks white clean concrete, there was remains of an old bridge crossing the later swamp land near those cottages for years, maybe still there? that said no sign of it on photo so who knows? Have an idea that station wasn't built at same time as rest of the GCR, 1905 seems to ring a bell? do know it closed though on May 5th 1930

Its the old bridge in the photo. It was close to the cottages. The new bridge was later than the photograph to the right in the photo further away from the cottages.

Yes I stand corrected, I have blown the picture up and details seen quite clearly, tried to upload close up of the bridge but ( for sometime now} my photobucket has gone funny,lol the green "upload photos" button has moved into some text or vice versa and it doesn't work, if anyone has any ideas on correcting such let me know? guess it's what I'm viewing such with? was thinking of redoing windows but don't want to risk losing what I have on pc or photobucket

re date Bulwell Hall Halt opened, don't know where I got the 1905 from, it was April 24th 1909 so only lasted 21 years, wonder if the station was still open when that aerial photo took? here is the old Moor Bridge in 1936, the new one opened 1938NTGM015252.jpg

re date Bulwell Hall Halt opened, don't know where I got the 1905 from, it was April 24th 1909 so only lasted 21 years, wonder if the station was still open when that aerial photo took?

According to the site where those aerial photos come from http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/ that photo of Bulwell Hall Halt was taken in 1928, so it was still working.

And the RCTS (who have a great collection of old railway photos) have one which shows the site of the station in 1965 http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?location=Bulwell&serial=4&img=66-84-25

Think they are taking a liberty saying that is the site of the station? I found more remains after the line closed than on that photo, still amazed that a main line railway should build a station of that length for golfers? that said there was the racecourse station for gamblers, and Arkwright St Station platform signs bore words "the nearest station to football and cricket grounds" (debatable?) both these 2 stations however also did other roles -----

Arkwright St Station platform signs bore words "the nearest station to football and cricket grounds"

I'd not come across that one before, but I've seen photos of a platform sign at London Road High Level........

sign5.jpg

Difficult to read here, but on the original you can see it says "Alight here for Trent Bridge cricket and football grounds" on the lower half of the sign

Just checked my facts in Railways In And Around Nottingham by Forster & Taylor, like yours the sign was in 2 parts, top half said Arkwright Street Nottingham lower one "Nearest station to Trent Bridge cricket and football grounds", text also says in later years the upper one replaced by an enamel board just saying Arkwright Street,

About 1960 my mates and I used to catch a train from Bulwell Common to London Road High Level to go to Football matches, once it went to Arkwright Street because the London Road line was closed for engineering works. I think the train came from Shirebrook. It stopped at Victoria for non fans (wives?) to go shopping. The loco was usually a K3 2-6-0 presumably from Langwith Junction shed.

There you go again, baffling m with science, apart from my visits to New Basford Station and the field end of Lortas Rd was never a trainspotter, more excited by the trains rushing past than collecting numbers

• 3 years later...

Some smashing stuff on here, Bulwell Hall halt and Moorebridge.. i haven't seen those before.. brilliant!!

I see From the aerial photograph a pond at Moorebridge.. this area I remember used to be quite swampy..and one year overflowed.. still a great snapshot!

• 4 years later...