Nottingham Football Post

Thanks Stu

I remember it being pink around 1963 when I came to Nottingham.

Also possibly a Cartoon bird figure wearing a top hat?

Notts County?

Yes, that was a magpie, representing Notts County. The other local teams also had a figure representing them, A 'Forester' I think, a Lincoln Imp etc.

Not quite the Football Post, but nearly.....This was printed in the "Moon Landing" edition of the Evening Post, so it's July 69.

A slightly surprising subject to be featured in a Nottingham paper

football.jpg

I still have a couple of those Post Football Guides from that era. They were great little books, full of local football info.

Re the featuring of Derby County on the front cover, though it seems unimaginable now, there wasn't the same animosity in those days in my opinion, in particular between Forest and Derby. The latter rivalry has been ramped up no end in the past few years.

Derby were pretty big news at that time too as they had a brash and very young manager called Brian Clough in charge with his sidekick, Peter Taylor. The football world was sitting up and taking notice at their deeds and what Clough had to say.

The Football Post brings back memories of the seller that used to stand in the middle of Trent Bridge after the FOREST games on a saturday night. Even in the pouring rain he'd be there " Post Post Football Post, I've gorrum dry under me coat". Where have all the characters gone?.

Remember long queues forming at local newsagents eagerly waiting on the bale of Football Posts being delivered on Saturday evenings. usually one of the waiting throng would rush to the delivery van when it rolled up and bring them in proudly like a revered specimen. How things have changed!

Used to particularly like the letter pages which had some long-time contributors. Struggle to remember their names now but their was always a Leicester City fan with the pen name 'Clap Your Hands' on there in the seventies trying to noise up Forest and Notts fans!

That was from a 1957 issue of the FP for sale on Ebay.

Would love to see those characters again in detail. Used to think they were a bit spooky and disturbing as a kid! :)

Seem's ages ago now since it ceased publication. I remember waiting in town for a copy, after watching Notts earlier...

• 2 years later...

I think I'm right in saying that The Football News was a broadsheet printed on pink paper. The Football Post was a white tabloid certainly around the late 50s until it ceased.

The Football News lasted until around the early 70s

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6806#entry90306

Characters are here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOTTINGHAM-FOOTBALL-POST-FOOTBALL-GUIDE-1949-50-/321463090818?pt=UK_SportsMemorabilia_Football_Memorabilia_ET&hash=item4ad8b17e82

and here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Post-Football-Guide-1956-57-192pp-/320741550319?pt=UK_SportsMemorabilia_Football_Memorabilia_ET&hash=item4aadafa8ef

The Magpie, Forestian, Derby Ram, Chesterfield Spire, Mansfield Stag, Lincoln Imp, Gilbert the Filbert (Leicester)

own up then paper boys how many of yer had one left over at the end of the round and stuffed it in somebody's hedge?

the got a rollicking the next night because someone didn't recieve it. oops I did.

The football post was great in the late 70's early 80's when I got it. You could go to Notts, then go to the newsagent at around 1730. A soon as the delivery van appeared, a swarm of buyers would appear.

The FP covered the rugby and local non-league foorball too - but those match reviews frustratingly stopped at half time!

I've posted this photo on another thread somewhere, but here it is again:

PostAnnual_zps085816e4.jpg

I used to read the Football Post regularly in the 1960s and it was a broadsheet on pink paper in those days - I don't know when it altered to tabloid. I think it must have been by the mid-sixties that they stopped using the cartoon characters in the heading.

There was a match report for all the clubs mentioned, albeit rather brief for the more outlying ones such as Lincoln and Chesterfield, plus on the inside pages there was also a news or update piece about each club - again, with about half a page for Forest and Notts down to a few paragraphs for Lincoln.

The start of this thread mentions Harry Durose, I don't know if he was ever editor of the paper but he was one of the regulars in the letters column - and one of the more boring ones! Pen names were often used by people writing in, and regulars that I remember were 'Mick the Stag', 'Red Ken', 'Miss Home and Away', 'Mere Woman' - and at one time 'Mere Woman's Next Door Neighbour'!

• Upvote 1

The Football News was pink. The Football Post was white.

For a good few years Nottingham was blessed with two football newspapers on a Saturday Evening.

Not sure when The Nottingham Evening News ceased publication but I think The Football News went at the same time.

All I know is that the Football Post which I used to read in the 1960s (from about 1963 onwards) was a broadsheet - i.e. large size - on pink paper. I can't remember when it went tabloid, but I would think after the 1960s.

I can just remember the Evening News being on sale (and that nobody read it!) in late 1959. It may have ceased publication then or early 1960. I don't remember the Football News, but it seems that must have been absorbed by the Football Post, as the latter 'in my day' had the full title of 'Football Post & News'. See this photo below which is a page from the 1967/68 Post Football Guide - although despite the illustration I'm pretty sure that the heading with all the team characters had been dropped from the paper by then.

FPampN_zpsd6036f89.jpg