Nottingham Football Post

I seem to remember that there was another Saturday sports newspaper in the 1950s, 1960s, that had green pages. The seller would shout 'green 'un', 'green 'un'.

My memory coincides with Chullah, and you were either a Pink 'un or Green 'un fan on Saturday evening, for the life of me can't remember what the Green 'un was called, but summat like Football News perhaps?

If there was a 'green un' in Nottingham it must have been before my time - i.e. pre-1963 when I got interested in football.

The Sheffield Star 'Green un' was well-known in the Sheffield area, and may have been on sale in Chesterfield.

Early 50s my 1st interest in football and i think the 'green un' was just a sheet produced with just the days results on it.

I have a copy of the Football Post dated 28th October 1967 relating to the Forest v Man Utd game. It's pink and has all the little figures on the front page, my father used to get it from our local newsagents every week without fail for as far back as I can remember. I don't ever recall it being white at all, perhaps that was a later edition, I also used to think that the figures on the front page were very sinister when I was very young !!!

I actually got a write up in it once, as a 16 year old I was drafted into the mighty Highcliffe FC team from the Midland Amature Alliance, their left winger had sprained his ankle and, as my brother was their accountant and man with the sponge and bucket, I got volunteered to play with all these big 20 odd somethings in a preliminary County Cup tie against the Combined Colleges on Bulwell Forest. We noticed a reporter standing on the side making notes and I scored the opening goal just before half time, that meant that I made the Football Post that night, I was well impressed.

I used to like the letters page and. crossword in the FP.

At the Forman st offices i remember men collecting a bundle of Football posts or news,then set off running in different directions shouting 'FOOTBALL' .i remember one in particular (and he was no spring chicken) used to run down Parliament st past Sneinton Market and onto sneinton dale,such was the popularity of the 'Football papers'

• 4 years later...

I've just seen an ad. on eBay for some old Nottingham football papers from May 1959 when Forest won the cup.

The Football Post is pictured and it's a white tabloid with the Thomas Henry characters across the top. The Football News is also featured and it's a broadsheet and appears to be pink.

I can't remember when The Football News ceased publication but is it possible The Football Post became pink for a short while in the 60s which is creating the confusion?

I used to love the Nottingham Football papers on Saturday teatime. I also used to look forward to The Guardian Journal which came out on Monday mornings and contained some great pictures from Saturday's games.

I've recently picked up an old Post Football Guide from 1915 which makes for amazing reading. The Leicester character with top hat, check trousers, specs and pipe is referred to as Fosse and most interestingly Notts County are simply referred to as Notts throughout the publication.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOREST-WIN-THE-CUP-Nottingham-FOOTBALL-EVE-POST-FOOTBALL-NEWS-2-5-1959/372406095363?hash=item56b5220e03:g:ApsAAOSwgetbRhQq

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Funnily enough I had been looking on eBay if there were any FPs from the 50s 60s .

Some of my childhood playmates were connected to Peppers the hairdresser's and that cropped up last week on a Facebook page as they are closing the Trinity Sq branch .

My playmates dad was a Ted Duncan and that name crops up as a sketch artist in 1950 for the Football Post. They sent him to cover such exotic events as Netherfield Albion v Rufford Colliery .

Of course could be another Ted Duncan nothing to do with my pals but was interested to see any sketches .

P.S.someone else is selling a job lot from the mid 70s for a tenner !

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOOTBALL-POST-NOTTINGHAM-1974-75-INC-FOREST-COUNTY-DERBY-MANSFIELD-26-COPIES/173505068342?hash=item2865b53d36:g:-KoAAOSwinlbh~BX

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I'm trying to find out about the old Nottingham Football Post newspaper, issued after the Saturday afternoon matches.

From memory it was pink? Also remember a green version and come to think of it white too?

Does anyone have any information on this, or maybe a photograph of the pink/green/white paper?

Thanks - Smiffy

I seem to recall the Football Post being pink in the 50s and 60s and just looked at my Dad’s football album which has newspaper cuttings (referring to him) and in the early 50s those snippets are pink.   Before the war the newspaper cuttings are white.  Suppose they may have been from different football papers though.