Im moving to Mablethorpe in August... Really not looking forward to, as i dont want to leave Carlton and Nottingham but needs must apparently. Is there anyone else on this forum from the Mablethorpe/Skegness area?

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Men may come and men may go but Mablethorpe goes on for ever. (Apologies to Alfred L T) All your memories resonate with me too. Remember the little boating lake with hand cranked paddle boats? An

I recall my first family holiday, was at Mablethorpe, Golden Sands Caravan Park - it must have been around 1963 - not sure, I was very young. We would go every year and meet up with the same families

This photograph was taken around 1946 when we were at Sutton on Sea or Mablethorpe.  I was told by dad  that the defences were up to stop those nasty Germans getting into Britain!   For several y

and sea side lady who used to live in chippy top of debil st from this site but i know quite a few from carlton and netherfield who now live that way most perhaps a bit older than you but will have lots of same memories and i have always found mabo a nice friendly place

Mabo's not so bad - there are many worse places in this world!

She has a Lincolnshire friend Mavis Enderby and one in Essex called Sybil Headingham.

you did not go chip alley in the good old days then paulus brief encounter cafe still in same place and still has the same name after all these years its changed a bit though

and what abbout mables brother who lives next door truss thorpe

I always quite like the idea of Mablethorpe and nearly always when I visit the Lincolnshire coast for the day go to nearby Sutton on Sea just a couple of miles down the road.

Perhaps during the day, especially if the weather is disinclined towards sitting on the beach, I'll walk up to Mabo, either via the prom or on the sand, and have a look around.

I always kind of want to remember it as it was when I was a kid - or even a teenager - but apart from me as the observer obviously changing and getting older, it invariably disappoints me. This is not so much a knock on Mablethorpe as I have some fondness for it, but I always imagine how it could be with its natural assets - its potential. What I see are endless tat shops et al.

One thing we can't change in the UK is the weather and of course that has become a huge factor for the likes of such home-based resorts but nothing ever really changes or gets updated, with a few exceptions, in the likes of Mablethorpe. Of course, part of it's 'charm' are the traditional donkey rides, amusement arcades, fish and chips etc but if you're not interested in that side of things you begin to struggle a little. You can get a very decent plate of fish and chips in the area but how many places serve up a decent dinner otherwise? I'm sure there are a few places if you know where to go but as an occasional and formerly regular visitor I wouldn't know where to find that.

I'd always applaud any attempts to fire a bit of life into the old resorts because I find it very sad to compare them with how they used to be in the cases of smaller towns like Mablethorpe but I see little change from what they were offering to people when I was a kid. New initiatives such as facilities and businesses tend to be a bit lowbrow and poor quality - stuff that wouldn't appeal to you that much back in Nottingham, or wherever you live.

It's probably largely an investment issue but I'd welcome a little bit more up to date and imaginative thinking in the old places. I think they could do more.

As I say, it's definitely not a knock on Mablethorpe and the like, I truly have quite a bit of affection for these places, but I'd like to see them offer a bit more in 2012 and onwards as I'd very much like them to to prosper as best as possible.

In the meantime my East Coast jaunts will remain at quieter Sutton (outwith visits to the Yorkshire coast). It remain an unassuming little place that's decent, civilised and reasonably unspoilt, and like Mablethorpe, boasts a magnificent beach.

Sutton on Sea

• Upvote 1