Ms Jackson mi duk: I'm blowed if I can find the website again. I can't remember its URL and I have cleaned out my computer this afternoon so ono history either! however, If you go here you will find some pics of Mabo (Including the Book in hand) from the 1950s

http://www.francisfrith.com/mablethorpe/photos/high-street-c1955_M1055/

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Men may come and men may go but Mablethorpe goes on for ever. (Apologies to Alfred L T) All your memories resonate with me too. Remember the little boating lake with hand cranked paddle boats? An

I recall my first family holiday, was at Mablethorpe, Golden Sands Caravan Park - it must have been around 1963 - not sure, I was very young. We would go every year and meet up with the same families

This photograph was taken around 1946 when we were at Sutton on Sea or Mablethorpe.  I was told by dad  that the defences were up to stop those nasty Germans getting into Britain!   For several y

Hey Charlotte... I remember that place ! , on the right hand side of the main street as you walk towards the beach, at one time there were Trampolines as well as a carousel... I think also at one time there were Dodgems inside, the room was very large, a few sidestalls around the outside and a cafe on the left hand side.

The elephant used to go 'Inside a cave... and come out with your prize box on its back which then tipped off... I agree it was usually full of tat.

The last building on the left hand side ( nearest the beach ) used to have a lot of older machines, including a 'Cowboy Quick Draw '... and my favourite... A Dalek that you sat inside.

Was it this place Charlotte?

normal_Cowboy__a%255B1%255D.JPG?gl=GB

I remember the elephant machine. Been trying to find a picture but no luck.

Wow, I can't believe people remember this place too! I feel all reminisce-y :) I don't think I ever used any of the gifts the elephant brought me, but it was just the novelty of it because it was so unique.

This photo could be the place! I seem to remember another arcade (or part of the same arcade) to the right of the 'elephant arcade' so maybe this photo is from there?

I TOO REMEMBER THE ELEPHANT MACHINE BUT IN MY DAY IT WAS ONLY 6D. WHENT FOR A DRIVE ON THE SUNDAY EVENING FROM SKEGGY TO MABLETHORPE AND BACK WENT RIGHT ROUND MABO IN THE CAR INA BIG CIRCLE PAST THE EAGLE UP TOT HE HIGH RD UP TO THE BEACH RD DOWN TO GOLDEN SANDS ALL THE WAY DOWN THE LANES BACK TO TOWN CENTER WAS VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE LIGHTS THIS YEAR BACK THROUGH SUTTON ON SEA DOWN THE OLD COAST RD THROUGH CHAPLE UP TO INGLEMELLS AND STOPPING AT WINTHORPE FOR CHIPS BEFORE GOING BACK TO THE SHIP FINISHED THE NIGHT DOING A TOUR OF SKEGGY LIGHTS.

WE ALSO OFTEN STAYED ON GOLDEN SANDS STE AS KIDS ONCE WE GOT OFF THE TRAIN DAD WOULD STOP OFF AT THE SHOPS AND BUY A KITE FOOTBALLS CRICKET SET BUCKET AND SPADES AND OF COURSE PAPER FLAGS WERE A MUST CRAB LINES AND FISHING NETS. READY FOR OUR WEEKS STAY . IF WE BROKE THEM OR LOST THEM IT WAS TOO BAD BECAUSE THERE WAS NOT THE MONEY FOR ANY MORE. THEY WERE PILED ONTO THE OLD BABYS PRAM WE ALWAYS TOOK WITH US TO CARRY OUR CLOTHS AND TINNED FOODS MUM HAD BEEN SAVING FOR MONTHS WE ALWAYS BROUGHT A SACK OF SPUDS TOO WHEN WE GOT THERE LEAVING JUST MILK BREAD AND MEAT TO BUY FOR OUR MAIN MEALS DAILY. DAD WOULD WALK EARLY EVERY MORNING UP THE BEACH TO SUTTON ON SEA AND WOULD STOP ON THE WAY BACKAT ONE OF THE LOCAL BUTCHERS ON THE WAY BACK TO THE VAN HE WOULD UY THE MEAT OR PIES FOR THE DAY PLUSS BACON AND SAUSAGES FOR OUR BREAKFAST WHEN HE GOT BACK HE WOULD ALWAYS MAKE A CUP OF TEA AND COOK BREAKFAST FOR US ALL. THEN IT WOULD BE OFF DOWN THE BEACH FOR MUM AND US KIDS DAD WOULD HAVE A NAP THEN GO OFF TO MEET HIS MATES FOR A PINT WE WOULD WORK OUR WAY DOWN THE BEACH AND MEET HIM IN THE FULBECK FOR A BOTTLE OF POP AND A BAG OF CHIPS THE OLDER KIDS WOULD TAKE US TO THE ARCADES WITH OUR 2 BOB SPENDING MONEY THEN BACK TO BUB FOR LOSING TIME 2,39 I THINK IN THEM DAYS BACK TO THE VAN HAVE A BIT OF A REST MUM GOT DINNER READY WE WOULD EAT THAT AND THEN GET READY TO GO OFF OUT AGAIN FOR THE NIGHT SOME TIMES IT WOULD BE TO THE SITE CLUB SOME TIMES BACK UP TO THE FULLBECK AND IF WE WERE LUCK ONTO THE FAIR FOR A COUPLE OF RIDES IF IT WAS NOT VERY GOOD WEATHER DAD MIGHT TAKE US TO THE CINEMA. AND THEN BACK TO CLUB ON STE FOR HIS LAST PINT, WE DID NOT HAVE A LOT TO SPEND BUT WE DID NOT EXPECT A LOT ANYWAY AND WERE ALWAYS HAPPY WITH WHAT WE GOT. I THINK WE GOT ABOUT £2 PER WEEK PER CHILD SPENT ON US FOR RIDES AND ARCADES. BUT LOTS OF FUN TIMES I KNOW LOTS OF FAMILIES DID NOT GET AS MUCH AS US BUT WE MADE OUR OWN ENTERTAINMENT. I AM SURE BEING ONE OF THE YOUNGEST IN THE FAMILY MY YOUNG BROTHER JOHN AND I DID BETTER THAN THE OTHERS BECAUSE THEY WERE ALL TEENAGERS WHEN WE STARTED TAKING REGULAR HOLIDAYS AND DID NOT COMES WITH US OUR HAD TO EARN A LOT OF THERE OWN SPENDING MONEY FOR ANY EXTRAS THEY WANTED BY PAPER ROUNDS BABY SITTING OR SATURDAY JOBS.

• Upvote 1

I agree with Michael, Babs - that was an absolute classic. When I was little we always went farther on holiday, often Cornwall - but only because my dad worked on the railway. A free pass cost the same (nothing) however far you went, so you might as well have your money's worth! But the finances were just as tight. Always went in what was then called "apartments" or "rooms with attendance" - which basically meant you bought your own grub, and the landlady cooked it for you to order, and did the washing up afterwards. One lemonade and four straws was a fairly common order for refreshment during the day, one or two day trips out by local service bus to other places with beaches or whatever. Then we would come back as late as possible - leaving Saturday tea-time, overnight train, and getting back to Nottingham (later on, Sawley Junction) about 7 o' clock Sunday morning and penniless! First stop for mum on Monday was the Post Office to draw the previous week's 8 bob family allowance, which put us back in credit - just! But there was a fair bit of juggling for a few weeks beforehand, what would get paid, and what would have to wait, so as to gather enough to fund the expedition.

Great post Babs!!......... :biggrin:

Lots of what you said could have been our holidays at Mablethorpe, we'd have to go with Mam & Dad shopping in the morning, often dodging into the arcades etc.....we sometimes went in to the 'coffee bar', on the main street right hand side facing the sea, just before you got to the pullover, Dad always had Horlicks. mam coffee, & us kids got milkshakes (bliss). In the afternoon it would be the beach, until teatime.

Then about 8 o'clock off to the Fulbeck or the Eagle, outside with crisps/pop if dry, if raining we sat in the car & tryed to tune the radio to luxembourg, which would fade 'in & out' depending on the signal, we always stayed at 43 or 45 St Andrews road, 2 bungalows owned by relatives......... :biggrin:

glad you guys enjoyed the post. so many memories of our hols in mabo paulus you were pose stopping in a bungalow and having a car but when i read your posts makes you wonder if we met up as kids if we went same weeks ,we usually went first week of school holiday pit weeks we might have even have played football or cricket together on the field overflow carpark net to the full beck or in the yard at the eagle

Charlotte, I think the machine you refer to was The Treasure Cave. If this link works you can watch a video of your tat being delivered again. :)http://www.pennymach...5__t--3014.html

thanks, Gra bee - that's the one! :) I'm going to send the link to my sister - she's a bit younger than me, but I hope she remembers the machine too!

Listening to the 'oldies' station this morning, they played Johnny and the Hurricanes, 'Red River Rock'.An instant flash back to Mablethorpe circa 1958/9.How many of the older members remember that tune blasting out of the arcades as a kid on holiday?

I went to Mabo once & saw a sign on the beach about sinking sands & another about Stinging Jellyfish that was it NIGHTMARES waist deep in mud being sucked down & jellyfish all around. Must have been about 7yrs old at the time or older dont think i could read until 11 .

Ate a oyster at the fish bar & got botulism puking for days LOL

Just a normal East coast holiday then.....................nightmares & food poisoning.............. slywink Seriously Mablethorpe still retains many of my most favourite childhood memories.................. :biggrin:

I remember being taken to Mablethorpe for a day trip as a kid by my mum and dad on an excursion run by Arnold Working Men's Club where my dad was a member.

Recall the coach being parked up nearby at the foot of Cross Street in Arnold near the Robin Hood pub. Embarkation of families and all began as the all important cargo was loaded up below us. This consisted of crate after crate after crate of ale with a few also of pop and boxes of crisps.

I don't think I've ever seen so much beer in one place.

Everyone in their best bib and tucker - all the men in suits and collar and tie.

I think the coach got all the way from Arnold to Oxton before the tops were taken off the first beer bottles of a very long day's refreshments for the dads! A very 'happy' trip...

sounds very much like the trips we had from netherfield railway club opposit debil st, but we all went by train 8am we would all walk down the lines that were by jackie bells field to the colwick netherfield station ready for the train at 8.45 am to be leaving at 9am just time to load up the train. you were not really surposed to use the path by the lines but as most of the men worked on the railway we go to go down to the station that way. they hiered 3 or 4 coaches plus a guards van at the back for the supplies of bear pop crisps and sandwiches back coach was for men only no women or children allowed in the the other two or three coaches for the women and children if it was 4 coachs the wonen who had no children always headed for that children only went in that one if no seats left on other two coaches ,dad was always head waiter and bottle opener as he called it on theese trips,he would be walking up and down the train all the time with his little trolley full of bottles handing them out to the people who wanted one pop for us kids. when we got to skeggy we would all be given a little brown bag with a sandwich wrapped in grease proof paper a piece of cake a pkt of biscuets and a piece of fruit. then off we would go for our day by the sea . it always seemed to be a nice day so we would spend most of the day on the beach, often the men went in the pub as soon as they got of the train . the women taking the kids off to the beach and the dads coming to join us later there would be several families sat together and the mums would take it in turns to go off in pairs to get a cup of tea and go up to the shops while the other mums looked after us kids. when the men came to join us we would often go off to do our own things for an hour or too in our case it ment a trip on the boat down the canal to the little funfair a bit cheaper than the big fair then up to the ship for one then on to the lumbley, for a last one before going back to the train for 5.45pm to be going out for 6pm . we would all be given another bag of food for the jurney home back in netherfield by 9pm and back to the club a quick drink and then home to bed.

• Upvote 2

yeh i surpose with over 100 people they had to be but they were good times all bar one when i was ill all day next day discovered i had got yellow joundice ended up in hostpital for 3 weeks with it no wonder i felt ill and did not enjoy that day.

• 3 weeks later...