Can still trace a lot of the route of the line aided via some still there former crossing keepers houses and bridges over the dykes, believe it was always single track and station was a terminus? Went on train more than once to Mablethorpe, recall a bumpy ride and at on point a big "u turn" where it was possible to see the engine and first few coaches plus last ones from middle carriages at same time (are you bored yet? lol)

In 1950's did trains go there solely via Victoria? seem to recall catching one at Midland, also going via Boston? or would the latter at least have been on a Skeggy day trip?

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Men may come and men may go but Mablethorpe goes on for ever. (Apologies to Alfred L T) All your memories resonate with me too. Remember the little boating lake with hand cranked paddle boats? An

I recall my first family holiday, was at Mablethorpe, Golden Sands Caravan Park - it must have been around 1963 - not sure, I was very young. We would go every year and meet up with the same families

This photograph was taken around 1946 when we were at Sutton on Sea or Mablethorpe.  I was told by dad  that the defences were up to stop those nasty Germans getting into Britain!   For several y

Ashleys right about the railway line being single track, a couple of hundred yards further on past the leisure centre (the former station ) is the site of the turntable.

Now then Jimmy, get them solicitors sorted out, me and the seasidewalker are waiting to show you the delights of Mabo, mind you, you dont get to see much from the bars.

• Upvote 1

do you want mablethorpe or will skeggy do.we stay in good band b skeggy 20pounds each per night give anyone etails if needed.

Try this one, Kev. It's Trusville which is half way between Sutton on Sea and Mablethorpe. I passed by it the other day on a visit to Sutton and I always think it looks pleasant enough. It's not by the water but in a quiet spot walkable to either of the above and looks to have it's own club on site.

http://www.springsholidayestates.co.uk/trusthorpesprings/holidayletting.html

Ashley (post #101) - I wonder if it was going to Skeggy where you noticed that very sharp curve, which would likely have been the south link onto the Skegness branch just south of Firsby. In the 1950s MOST trains to Skeggy (and Mablethorpe) went from Victoria - but it was possible to go from Midland (usually excursion trains that had started elsewhere than Nottingham. I seem to remember reading that it was a bit of a performance, because they had to reverse over a link into London Road Low Level before heading off towards Netherfield etc. Trains to Skeg and Mabo went the same way - Grantham avoiding line, Sleaford, Boston, and then the Skeg ones turned (sharp) right just before Firsby, while Mabo went straight on up the Grimsby line to Willoughby then Sutton on Sea.

what would we use 2 and 3 bedrooms for when we just wanna be there for 1 or 2 nights max....theres only us 2.

If you find some accommodation for two people for less than £45 a night pop it on here will you Kev.

• Upvote 1

To be honest can't remember, but still suspect going to Mablethorpe as I recall seeing it more than once and far as I recall only went to Skegness once via train. In a book somewhere (can't find it) I have a picture of a sunday excursion going to Mablethorpe on the former GNR line, the train was just passing the Suburban junction at Woodthorpe think early 1950's text didn't say where it started from though

Ashley (post #101) - I wonder if it was going to Skeggy where you noticed that very sharp curve, which would likely have been the south link onto the Skegness branch just south of Firsby. Trains to Skeg and Mabo went the same way - Grantham avoiding line, Sleaford, Boston, and then the Skeg ones turned (sharp) right just before Firsby, while Mabo went straight on up the Grimsby line to Willoughby then Sutton on Sea.

Here's a view of Firsby today. You can see the former railway line, and a sharp curve south of the station - which I guess was on Station Road. I'd bet you could see the front of the train from the rear (or vice-versa) at that point

https://maps.google....ed Kingdom&z=15

Stu, that's the curve I was thinking of at Firsby.

Ashley, the only other curve I can think of that fits the bill is just coming into Boston where there is a sharp left-hander (the line from Grantham used to join the main line from Peterborough to Grimsby at this point).

As for excursion at Suburban Junction - I guess it would be coming from Derby Friargate, or possibly down the GNR's Leen Valley branch - though I think trains to the coast from that way tended to go north through Mansfield Central, then Edwinstowe and Lincoln. But in them days excursions sometimes went by strange routes to add a few extra picking up stations. Anyway, heading (east?) through Suburban Junction would mean Mapperley tunnel, then joining the Grantham line at Colwick.

Going as fast as we can beachbum, Its one strip of land outside our house that is holding us up. No one can find who owns it, we thought we sorted this out as land registry went back to 1750 and sorted it, however they are now not satisfied and now want to come and take pictures, so it could be November before we get up there now

kev google merry dale skeggness thats the one wehave stayed the last two years not posh but clean and confy good breackfast for 20 pounds per person per nightour room had ensuit bathroom. kathy and colinwho run it friendly and very helpful

• Upvote 1