Anyone recall the name of the cafe that skills buses always stopped at half way to Mablethorpe, I think it was called 'The Adam & Eve'??

I think it's this one, I can't for the life of me remember the name of it, but it's just outside Tattershall, now sadly closed down. Rog (Plantfit) and I pass there regularly on our "Aviation Days"

It's still open and called "The Fairways" in this image from 2009

8568297675_1ea43f0b4e_m.jpg

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Men may come and men may go but Mablethorpe goes on for ever. (Apologies to Alfred L T) All your memories resonate with me too. Remember the little boating lake with hand cranked paddle boats? An

I recall my first family holiday, was at Mablethorpe, Golden Sands Caravan Park - it must have been around 1963 - not sure, I was very young. We would go every year and meet up with the same families

This photograph was taken around 1946 when we were at Sutton on Sea or Mablethorpe.  I was told by dad  that the defences were up to stop those nasty Germans getting into Britain!   For several y

we always went to mablethorpe as kids and even now,infact alot of the shops still sell the same tat,sorry (nik naks)now as they did in the late 50s and 60s we would get off at the railway station and there used to be youths and men with big hand carts that would take the familys suitcases(and toddlers) on the cart to the caravan parks or B&B,saved alot of lugging about,cases did not have wheels on them like they do now,have lots of photos with all the men sitting on the beach with suits shirt and ties on and on hot days too,best treat was a horlicks in a giant size horlicks mug at the seafront cafe overlooking the sea,mmm lovely,other dull days walking round the arcades looking for pennies left in the machine as we were skint,cannot remember ever finding any,but happy days

• 1 year later...

Someone I spoke to this week tells me the Quick Draw Cowboy could still be in the corner arcade @Mablethorpe.

Anyone confirm this?

Perhaps I'll mosey on down there today before I meet up for drinks.

Hot of the press a new 10 Pin Bowling Alley for Mabo, due to open at Easter

If I remember as far back as my last holiday there, 1967.

The cowboy used to say something like "Aw you got me pardner"?

if weathers good this year might come down for the bike got drowned last year and parking was crap suposed to go right up other end of town to park even disabled i did not have my schooter last year but i will be using it this year i think its on 27th

beach bum not seen seaside lady on here in ages have you seen her over the winter i saw her at the end of the season last year quick hello

Someone I spoke to this week tells me the Quick Draw Cowboy could still be in the corner arcade @Mablethorpe.

Anyone confirm this?

Had a walk around the arcades this lunchtime, sad to say no sign of The Quick Draw Cowboy, probably pushing up daisies on Boot Hill

• 3 years later...

Men may come and men may go but Mablethorpe goes on for ever. (Apologies to Alfred L T)

All your memories resonate with me too. Remember the little boating lake with hand cranked paddle boats? And the Lyric cinema; saw Calmity Jane there.

I can half recall the stations and the ride from Nottingham. Bingham, Bottesford, "look out the window, there's Belvoir Castle, wow!", Grantham, Boston, (where the sharp curve is,) "look, there's Boston stump...now look its this side wow", Sleaford?, Willoughby, Mumby. Somewhere along there was the South 40foot drain, "look, look here, they're herons, wow". In '53 I saw a rowing boat in the middle of a field. Sutton-on-Sea, then a level crossing and finally -'raaay, Madlefort!!. Outside the station were lads with old pram chassis and trolleys and they would take all your luggage to your digs in town for a tanner. 

The walk to the digs down High Street with.all the shops selling buckets, spades, kites, ice cream, cowboy hats, was magic. Happy memories for me and my younger brother. 

Mablethorpe, it had its time and its place in the innocent order of things.

We've done lots since and been many places but Mablethorpe's special.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

My paternal grandparents retired there in a Bungalow a mile or two back from the beach.  I always thought it would be great to live there, but we didn't go many times before I left school and did my own thing.

Don't give it a miss, go and enjoy yourself,get a bag of chips, some doughnuts,ice cream and buy a stick of rock,your memories will still be there just everything else has changed, think of all those memories coming back to you as you walk along the front

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1