Went to Mablethorpe for 1 week holidays in the early 50s with my grandma and grandad stayed at a boarding house on Golf rd.In the 60s when igot my driving licence went there many times for the weekend stayed at B andB usually on Victoria st.Enjoyed the amusements at the side of the pullover the Book In Hand a noisy place and even noisier place was the Eagle Hotel some good bands and music there.I wonder if any of these places are around anymore?great memories.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Men may come and men may go but Mablethorpe goes on for ever. (Apologies to Alfred L T) All your memories resonate with me too. Remember the little boating lake with hand cranked paddle boats? An

I recall my first family holiday, was at Mablethorpe, Golden Sands Caravan Park - it must have been around 1963 - not sure, I was very young. We would go every year and meet up with the same families

This photograph was taken around 1946 when we were at Sutton on Sea or Mablethorpe.  I was told by dad  that the defences were up to stop those nasty Germans getting into Britain!   For several y

My dad often drove us to Chapel St Leonards. I adored the drive there, in a Morris Oxford LNN 430E, which I learned to drive in. I seem to recall that there was a small amusement arcade and a fish and chip shop ( I hate fish and always have done, but I was happy with a pot of mushy peas) 

My first holidays were spent at Chapel St Leonard's ... loved that place.  In the late 40s there was a small basic amusement arcade where you played with old pennies (of course). Does anyone remember the one where you dropped your penny in and then flicked a trigger which sent the coin round in circles.  It was a vertical circle if that makes sense... It was very basic but I loved it when I was little.  By the time I was a teenager there were bigger and more exciting machines in the arcades near the pullover on to the beach.

We still visit the place sometimes as I have a friend who lives there.

• Like 1

Not on Trunch Lane when I was little - we were on Sea Bank Road (the little road going up to Chapel Point). When we were married, we had a few holidays up Trunch Lane.

They had one of those machines on " The repair shop" a couple of weeks ago Margie. Quite flash when it was done. They can fetch or bob or two when working. B.

There was a camp site on Trunch lane,,called 'Happy Days' and late 50s Mam and her sisters loved the place,,,there was ''Turns'' every night and lots of Dancing,,,,i was 13/14 and loved Dancing with Mam and her sisters,,,the ladies style of dress and attitude was very like the American TV show Happy Days''' loved the place,,,

Early 60s could drive up there,,,give the Barman 10 bob and you had a caravan for the night,,,very happy days,,,,don't know if its still going,,wouldn't be surprised,,,last went when i took the kids mid 70s.

Up Trunch lane, before you got to Happy Days, there used to be " Kings Chalet Park", ( Google shows Kings caravan park still there.). Nottingham Spastics Society used to have a couple of chalets there, one double 6berth and one single 4berth. We had many happy holidays there, ( both our children being disabled). I used to be on the exec.commitee of the society and used to take the opportunity to do any repairs or decoration while we were there, combined with holidaying. You could here the tannoy calling "Happy Days camp calling., this morning we will be...etc". Another thing was the regular jets passing overhead to the North sea and back. Keeping an eye on the Russians, I  was once told.

When we went to Mablethorpe in the late 40s there were B25s (?) bombing the stuffing out  of a pagoda thing with a red ball on it miles away at Theddlethorpe or was it Donna Nook. They flew out seaward over M'Thorpe and came back in over the target. Flash, then about 10 secs later, blamm, the detonation. I dont know who operated the aircraft, maybe an RAF or Canadian unit.

The bombing range was still being used in the early 60's, I well remember they flew a red flag when it was active.

Theddlethorpe WW. I collected lots of bullets, shell casings and other stuff there. My cousin and I were there about 1960, and the very tattered red flag was flying. We assumed that the range hadn't been used for years. How wrong we were. We soon scarpered when the planes came into sight.

This photograph was taken around 1946 when we were at Sutton on Sea or Mablethorpe.  I was told by dad  that the defences were up to stop those nasty Germans getting into Britain!  

For several years after the war ended, there were still no signposts on the little road going to Ingoldmells and CSL.  I remember dad saying things like 'left at the red lion pub' etc.... can't remember the exact names of the landmarks, but he told us the signposts had been removed to confuse the Enemy!

IMG-1311.jpg

• Like 5

We went to Saltfleet, about four miles up the coast from Mablethorpe, at the end of September. There isn' t a beach just a marshy area of ground, which has a large notice warning of unexploded  ordnance. Could this be the site that Willow refers to?

• 9 months later...

When I was very little (about 10?). I used to go and stand next to the donkeys hoping that people would think I was in charge of them.  I sometimes used to walk up and down the beach with the proper donkey boy' as the children had their rides!    

• Like 1

I know I've mentioned it before but just to remind you that if anyone finds a gold wedding ring on Mablethorpe beach, please let me know - I buried it in the sand by the sea wall in 1969 and would like it back

thumbsup

I had an auntie and uncle who took their children to Mablethorpe every year. A B & B and a chalet on the seafront. Kids playing on the beach and adults in the chalet brewing tea and reading the newspaper. At least my parents took us to different British seaside resorts (no holidays abroad though, I had to wait until I was married for that). I can't think of anything more boring than Mablethorpe every summer. Day trips yes, but EVERY year for a week??

I used to work with a chap at Smith Dennis, on Berridge rd., up until I left in 1969, he and his wife went to Mablethorpe every year for 32 years. " Don't  you get fed up the same bit of sand"? I asked.

" Never go on the sand, only to the ' Book in hand or the 'Louth' " he replied indignantly. 

• Like 1

Question to Willow Wilson ( re October 2017 Post): You describe the journey from Boston to Mablethorpe as I remember it.  Remember the train crawling past a place called "Clover Dairy" . Where was that?.

1955 to 1961 Always had our holiday clothing sent ahead in a large travel trunk. Problem with this was it was collected by BR on the Wednesday before we went on holiday and taken Ruddington station for its onward journey to Victoria Station then to Mablethorpe. Where, if all went well it would be waiting at Trusville on arrival.  The only problem with this arrangement was we were running around in tatty old cloths the week before going and on return what ever we came home in until sometime when the BR wagon delivered our trunk at home. Strange that we always saw our trunk being loaded on the train we came home in.

Nice beach, always rained. Loads of jelly fish washed up.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, denshaw said:

I've got a mate who goes to the same resort in Turkey twice a year, each to their own.

Maybe he gets a thrill from the fact that all the locals know him?   As you say, each to their own.  

Yes Lizzie,,,each to their own,,,,been going Spanish destinations  for 50 years now,,,,and  for the last 15 or so the same resorts,,,its called getting older,,found a place i love and know just what to expect.....i'am known by the locals,,,there are lots of romantic venues in the area....Also not too many British,,,don't get me wrong i quiet enjoy some British folk....lol,,,

I do visit other places while i'm there,,but take the bus  or cycle the transport, buses and trains are so cheap..,,,love the Weather and the food and chatting with the locals of similar age,, I love Spain and its people so much i almost wish the Armada had been sucessful....Not been for almost 2 years now for one reason or another,,and really miss it,,,hopefully back again soon,,,

• Like 1