When did you get your first television?

Been trying to define the X & H ariel use, I was as sure it was H for bbc as some of you were sure it was X. From what I can find out on the web early tv was Band 1 and could be received with either H or X so what they did when ATV (band 3) came along in 55 I cannot find out. I know there was only one incoming cable.

I think the X or H was good for bbc 1. Then came a smaller aerial for band 3 ITV. Often needed a set top box to convert signal to band one so that the early single channel sets could see ITV. Usually a device called a diplexer was used to combine the signals from both aerials into one. Thus there was only one incoming cable.

In the early days I remember a drama series about spiders loose on a ship.

The victims received Y shaped bite marks. I found it very scary!

Anyone remember it or what it was called?

Here you go, the gen about 405 line aerials:

The early 405 line BBC transmitters were on Band I (41-68MHz) and all ITV transmitters were in Band III (174-216MHz). As the BBC transmitters proliferated they also moved into Band III. The multi element aerials for Band III are called Yagi-Uda arrays (commonly known as Yagis).

The two signals were combined in a magic box called a multiplexer or passive combiner, which consisted of handful of passive components and would normally be situated in the loft.

• Like 1

Got it in one....................................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........................there it go's again!!

What about peoples first colour television? dad got ours in 1974 it cost over £350.

First thing I watched was Ireland v Wales rugby match.

I got my own first colour set in 1978.

I bought my second colour set in 1995 witch I stiil have.

• 5 years later...

we had a wigfalls rental, i remember badgering mam for a colour tv and she always used to say "your dad says when the price comes down he'll think about it. anyway i used to go and help jenny stack the shelves in the new netherfield co-op on a saturday and the manager mr bilson asked me if i wanted to watch the cup final, of course i did !. he put me a chair in front of the biggest colour tv id ever seen . im watching manchester city v leicester city and my mam comes in the shop wondering where i am . she see's me watching the telly and bursts out laughing as mr bilson says he thought he'd give me a treat for helping out in the shop (i was only 9) mam must have told dad as he soon came down and stood the watching match til the end . dad was a sport fanatic and within two weeks we had a new colour tv !

• Upvote 1

I didn't get my first colour TV until 1981.  I was working for a retail department store and there was a flood. I organised the saving of much stock and as a reward, the insurance agent allowed me to pick two items from the water damaged stock. I chose a small colour TV and a video recorder.

• Upvote 1

Black and white like this one at my grandparents in the 50's

The first colour television was just before the 1970 world cup. It was in a cabinet with a doors as my mum did not like the "one eyed monster" staring at her when it was not on.

Related image

• Like 1

I remember when we had our first colour telly, there was actually very few colour programmes, still a lot of black and white. Took quite a while for everything to come in colour.

First telly was back in the late 50s, I think. Rented from Redifusion. I remember praying that the man would get it set up time for the Man from Monte Christo.

When me and the missus were first married we bought an extremely cheap, second-hand, b&w telly which we ran off a coat hanger aerial. We had a bit of paint left over from the front room, so... We used to say we had the first colour telly on our street - wedgewood blue!

Er... the Count of Monte Christo! (Getting him mixed up with the Man from Del Monte!)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, loppylugs said:

I think they were made by Bush,

Yes Loppy they were made by Bush, the logo, if that is what they were called then looked like a Christmas tree in a pot.

Most of the time it only showed the test card but I still remember Watch With Mother

Image result for bbc station identification
Image result for bbc station identification

• Like 2

Anyone remember the name of the TV programme from the late 60s/earlyy 70s that featuured an Indian ranger and some kids in a Canadian(?) forest.  They had a radio call sign that went something like "XNY 556 A for Apple Calling...."

Compo, Was that The Forest Rangers? it was a bit like a Canadian version of "Skippy the bush kangaroo"

220px-DVD_cover_-_season_1_of_%22The_For

1 hour ago, Compo said:

Anyone remember the name of the TV programme from the late 60s/earlyy 70s that featuured an Indian ranger 

• Like 2

That's the one, Oz! It's been bothering me on-and-off for ages; I just couldn't remember the title of the show.

7 hours ago, Compo said:

That's the one, Oz! It's been bothering me on-and-off for ages

Compo There are several episodes on YouTube, after I remembered the name I checked to see if it was right.

• Like 1