for a while I've put the odd pic of my models in the forums here and there, so i thought i'd start a dedicated thread to my world in miniature!

probably like a lot of you here i built airfix kits as a kid starting for in the mid 70's, after i left school though other things in life took over,(pubs,cars, girls!)

fast forward to 1990 when it was the 50th anniversary of the battle of Britain and i watched the 1969 film for the first time in ages, then thought it might be a bit of fun to nip into beatties and pick up a spitfire kit to build again.

22 years later and i'm still building model kits!

heres what i'm in the middle of at the minute-

10rrc45.jpg

matchbox 1/72 scale junkers 188, a vintage kit this, the instructions have a date of 1979 while the box itself has a date of 1983. whilst I've painted it, it is one of the three colour kits matchbox made so that if you didn't want to paint them they would still be something like the colour scheme.

2rmw56w.jpg

now this will be an avro Manchester, its a conversion from the airfix Lancaster kit, and is roughly airfix fuselage, resin replacement wings and tail.

and last but by no means least! the big'un

25g4gg4.jpg

back in the day this was certainly a "christmas kit" even a birthday couldn't run to one of these. this is the first time I've built this particular superkit and at the moment i've only got the engine done, which was like a kit in itself!

jree6d.jpg

15xcm0.jpg

• Upvote 1

Do you remember the Airfix sets of moulded figures you could buy.

Millitary excetera?

fantastic detail but impossible to paint.

I have a few models that i fly Spit, Mustang, Cessna,

Usually fly till i turn them back into kit form.

I have a tree at the flying field that is named Dereks tree, Three times it has run out in front of me.

Nice models Phil, The Stuka is quite a big model of what was a big aircraft for a two seater, I built a 1/32 scale one from the Revell range a few years back and that was quite large, they also did a 1/32 scale ME 262, now that was a nice kit, keep posting the pics, very interesting

Rog

@ braddy- back in the 70's my models took part in all sorts of battles across my bedroom floor and never made to the ceiling!

@ mick- i'm lucky enough to still have some of my earlier kits, albeit from the early 80's. glue smudges everywhere! but i'm as proud of them as any of my later builds. also i still have a bunch of the soldiers somewhere, plus at least one of those vehicles made from the same plastic as the soldiers (25 pounder gun and tractor)

@ stu actually a lot of my kits never saw any paint back in the day, this probably stemmed from the fact that, once i tried to stick a picture on my bedroom wall with some humbrol green paint left over from a spitfire i built, and afterwards my parents gently discouraged me from using paint due to the foot square green splotch on my fairly new bedroom wall paper!

@dgbrit- ouch! i have to say, that anyone who can put as much time and effort into building an RC model, then fly it, with all the potential for disaster that brings, is a brave man indeed!

@plantfit- i have at least 5 1/32 stukas up in the loft waiting to be built! they were made by a company called century 21 toys, who seemingly went out of business so all their stock was bought by a shop chain called home bargains, who then put these kits on sale in their stores for £2 each, when their previous price was about £10. also in the range were a Messerschmidt 109, a macchi 205 veltro, and a zero, all of which i have at least four kits each.