used to buy loads of books from there and the Heathcote street shop, took plenty of books in as well, in the Heathcote street store they had a cupboard at the back of the shop full of book that were free for anyone who wanted them,various subjects and for the most part a good read, remember the sandals they sold and the Mysore soap from India,joss sticks and all manner of eastern stuff

Rog

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi there, I stumbled across this thread, and as I worked at Mushroom Bookshop for a few years in the mid-90's, can add a little bit to it: Mushroom Bookshop started on Arkwright Street in 1972, set

It was, yes. I remember "Orris Boris Brothers" as being on Mansfield road though. Mushroom originated in Arkwright street but moved due to demolition.

Welcome SFB

I remember the original Drury Hill Bookshop.  It was then (60s) probably the best second hand /antiquarian bookshop in the City.  Bill Carlin, who ran it, used to work in and for the older and by then defunct s/h bookshop which was next door to Sisson and Parkers on Wheeler Gate.  He had to move his Drury Hill premises when they built Broad Marsh - What a disaster that all was!  I helped him to move and to set up the new shop.   Leeds used to have some good bookshops.  Not any more.  How is Nottingham doing for good second hand bookshops?  There were lots when I left.  Is it all tacky and all-too-predictable charity offerings now?

12 hours ago, 571 said:

I remember the original Drury Hill Bookshop.  It was then (60s) probably the best second hand /antiquarian bookshop in the City.  Bill Carlin, who ran it, used to work in and for the older and by then defunct s/h bookshop which was next door to Sisson and Parkers on Wheeler Gate.  He had to move his Drury Hill premises when they built Broad Marsh - What a disaster that all was!  I helped him to move and to set up the new shop.  

If you haven't already found it, there's a large thread on Drury Hill.  https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/6104-drury-hill/?