• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi there, I stumbled across this thread, and as I worked at Mushroom Bookshop for a few years in the mid-90's, can add a little bit to it: Mushroom Bookshop started on Arkwright Street in 1972, set

It was, yes. I remember "Orris Boris Brothers" as being on Mansfield road though. Mushroom originated in Arkwright street but moved due to demolition.

Welcome SFB

Bit of a trendy left-wing bookshop for hippies, peaceniks and other subversives? The kind of place which sold books demonstrating how to make the perfect roll-up.

It was on either George Street or Broad Street in Hockley

Think they first started on Arkwright street just across the road from Bathley street then moved to George street, was run by a guy with long grey hair, nice bloke, always remember the cupboard at the back of the shop where you could get a free book and if you wanted could leave a book to replace it, they sold some very interesting books as well as a lot of wares from the far east, i was a frequent visitor in the 70's to either hand some books in for others to read or just to buy and browse

Rog

were always being busted as stuff was planted in there all the time....basically the cops dint like em...they went through some sh1t trying to keep it open.....was a great shop run by nice people.

Yes Cliff Ton. When they were on Arkwright Street they had a free tea and coffee section at the back. The idea was that you took something and gave something in return. Of course, it was abused and many took, took and took again without any giving. I just wondered if it would ring any bells and obviously it did :)

You're right Stu, there are some wonderful old buildings around Hockley and the Lace Market. As some of you know, this is my favourite part of Nottingham. Every time I visit this area, I always find something new to look at.

The Nottingham Civic Society is holding a guided walk round The Lace Market tonight at 6:30pm which will be interesting. Alas, I can't make it, here's hoping they will do another one in the near future.....

Ah yes Heathcote street not George street, I think opposite side of street to Gee Dee's model shop (or was that on George street?)

I agree with Fynger about the folks who ran the place really nice folk but took advantage of, I think I still have some books that I bought there in the 70's, "Supernature" by Lyall Watson, "gift of the Gods and Gold of the Gods" by Eric Von Daniken " The epic of Gilgamesh" I think some long forgotten script from the East. that type of book

Rog

I thought it was the lighter coloured building to the left given as '12 Heathcote St' on the Google map (though not necessarily accurate).

I'm really not sure though...

I'm really not sure though...

I guess you may have done this already Stu, but if you Google "Mushroom Nottingham" you get quite a few references to 12 Heathcote Street. I'm assuming the internet masses can't be wrong...... :)

Yes indeed - I know it was number 12 but I was not so sure how accurate the numbering on Google maps is?

This is referred to in the link you gave above. It's all coming back to me now!

32 fascists from ex-coalfields in Notts/Derby arrested after causing damage and assault in Nottingham’s ‘Mushroom Books’ on 15th January.

Source: Counter Information

http://peopleshistreh.wordpress.com/timeline/

• 6 months later...