Whatever happened to those 'old fashioned' ailments?

Bubblewrap - I think that might be a school for children with special needs now possibly?

Compo - I'd be interested to know where that was. Can't really think of any sizeable buildings near Dorket Head?

Rampton is a high security psychiatric hospital for people detained under the Mental Health Act. You don't have to be a criminal to be admitted there, or 'insane'.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've got all of them Margie.  The one thing I haven't got is hypochondria..

But not for long...

That was Digby (Arnold & Carlton C of FE) college wasn't it <g>

No that was a bit further down the avenue & the college was behind the school playing fields (Bubblewrap went to those two schools 1954-1960)

What was the small hospital, entrance just up the road from the main entrance to City Hospital (Hucknall Road), it was set back from the main road. I had cause to work there (Boilerhouse) in the cellar circa 1980, & came across discarded records & 'ward record books' which recorded the 1940's/50's records of children admiited with polio, diptheria, TB, scarlet fever etc..............some of those poor mites didn't recover, & many were left permanently crippled from these ailments. I had 2 young daughters at the time & it made me realise how lucky we are to have the NHS & modern medicines to protect us

I remember that because my mum was there some time around the late 50s/early 60s. Specifically for TB I believe.

Another coincidence we share, K. So was my mum, in the 1950s. Spent 18 months there with TB.

Paulus, your reply #34 was where my brother went when he was about 13 with scarlet fever. I remember visiting him and looking through glass at him, and everything we took for him, jigsaws etc, had to stay there when he came home. There was also the St Francis hospital in the City Hospital it was for the elderly, my grandma went in there.

Regarding post #34, sounds like the isolation hospital. The city hospital also incorporated Bagthorpe workhouse, renamed Valebrook Lodge in 1937 (-> City Hospital South -> Sherwood Hospital). I gather it was a place dreaded in later years by those who knew its sombre past ("They've sent 'im ter Baggy..."). Then there was the children's hospital off Mansfield Road, to which my cousin was admitted with pneumonia at age 6 in 1950. I gather from my mum that the visiting restrictions were draconian - no visiting at all for the first two weeks (it "unsettled" the child), and then one two-hour visit on Sunday afternoons only.

Thankfully times changed Stephen, my son was in the Children's for 3 weeks when he was 2 and we could visit all day long.

That was Digby (Arnold & Carlton C of FE) college wasn't it <g>

Are you insinuating we NCB apprentices were a bit looney.......LOL

Thankfully times changed Stephen, my son was in the Children's for 3 weeks when he was 2 and we could visit all day long.

Absolutely. Our daughter had to have a fairly tricky operation at 3 months old (1989), and was in QMC. We were living in Lincolnshire at the time, but although we could have stayed with my wife's parents in Nottingham, QMC found us a room to stay so that we on hand all the time - and even though we were not the patients we were treated with the utmost consideration and support. The NHS gets a lot of abuse, but when the chips are down they are nothing short of brilliant in my experience.

Are you insinuating we NCB apprentices were a bit looney.......LOL

I certainly was! Must have been insane, working dahn pit any rode.

Peel St hospital delivered babies too, but I think it might have been a just a women's hospital for other female 'stuff'.

The building near Dorket Head is an psychiatric hospital called Calverton Hill, I work there.

Is that on George's Lane, Gibbo, going from Dorket Head towards Calvo on the left?