Whatever happened to those 'old fashioned' ailments?

Yes Stu, it used to be called Abbey House and was demolished. The new building has been there for about 4 years.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've got all of them Margie.  The one thing I haven't got is hypochondria..

But not for long...

I know! It just seems to be endless. I see the Calverton Connection is diverted these days down Lime Lane and through the back end of Calverton. Unbelievable though really that they can get away with closing it yet again. Folks in Calvo must be really annoyed about it.

Compo, it was also the same place they taught the Plod their law etc..... I recall loads of police cadets up there during my time there.

I were only in it for the money.....That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it....

Abbey house was the family home of the Sealey family Lord leutenant (sp) of Nottingham, when I were a nipper we used to get invited there by Lady Sealey each spring to pick daffodills along with a lot of the British Legion members from the Queens drive branch, my Grandmother and Lady Sealey were good friend and both knitted and packed presents for the troops in the Great war, later in the house's life it was converted into a home for ,,,should we say difficult/troubled patients, sorry to hear the place has been pulled down

Rog

Here's a few more things you don't hear about so much now.

Lying in: This was when a woman stayed in bed 2 weeks at least, after giving birth.

My old neighbour when we lived in Langar had rheumatism, she called it the screws.

St Vitus Dance seems to have disappeared, or this name for it anyway.

And lastly, Scurvy.

• 1 month later...

WTF is Tropical Frostbite when it's at home?!

SUNBURN

Last time I heard of that ailment was in the song...

Here we all are sittin' in a rainbow

Go blimey hello Mrs. Jones

How's old Bert's lumbago?

(He mustn't grumble)

Obviously it is still around, just not called lumbago anymore!

• 3 years later...

I'm considering starting a topic entitled Ailments, Aches & Pains so that all members so afflicted can post there, instead of How's Your Day. Save that topic for the cheerful beggars.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 years later...
On 7/13/2012 at 9:49 PM, Ayupmeducks said:

Are you insinuating we NCB apprentices were a bit looney.......LOL

When I was at Arnold & Carlton college doing a mining craft course we went to the pub at dinner time & came back a very sozzled: We were sent to see the principle who threatened hell & damnation if we did it again. Of course we did do it again but didn't get caught, lol...  

I fell over on a freshly Tarmacadamed Road at the age of 9 Years which caused a condition called Impetigo. Can not remember if I was given any medication to take but do remember my face being painted purple. As the condition was highly contagious I was not allowed to attend school  for several weeks.A colleague of mine was diagnosed with T B at a young age and strangely can remember playing football on the Sunday and being in an isolation hospital the following morning.Fresh Air was the order of the day with the doors and windows permanently open irrespective of the weather conditions outside.Apparently  the older patients took the Fresh Air instructions to heart and used to sneak out to the Pub at night time for a pint or two.