Whatever happened to those 'old fashioned' ailments?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've got all of them Margie.  The one thing I haven't got is hypochondria..

But not for long...

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I've got all of them Margie.  The one thing I haven't got is hypochondria..

• Like 5
On 7/15/2012 at 6:45 PM, katyjay said:

Here's a few more things you don't hear about so much now.

Lying in: This was when a woman stayed in bed 2 weeks at least, after giving birth.

My old neighbour when we lived in Langar had rheumatism, she called it the screws.

St Vitus Dance seems to have disappeared, or this name for it anyway.

And lastly, Scurvy.

Bit of a late response sorry katyjay.

I was a very hyperactive kid and my dad regularly said I must have St Vitus Dance lol

He also used to refer to Dobby itch. I googled it and I'm pleased to say I've never had it.

My mum used to tell me about kids with purple heads which I believe was gentian violet applied to shaven heads to cure ringworm

We had an alleged outbreak of ringworm in our class at Mellish. A nurse came along and examined us and said we all had it. We were advised to visit our doctor that evening. In every case, bar one, we were confirmed not to be infected. The poor chap who had it had to spend some weeks at home and all his hair was shaved off. For some weeks we were avoided like lepers by the other classes.

Our youngest lad Colin, picked up Scabies from riding in a shared ambulance taking him to school. When I got back from driving my Lorry,my gaffer told me I was to go straight to City hospital and meet my wife there. On arrival I was ushered into a consulting room where wifey was. Needless to say we had both caught Scabies from our lad. We were given some treatment and the doctor said that we had to paint it all over our bodies, looking at me he said and I mean all over". Do this, have a bath next day wash bed sheets, then do the same again. First time kills the mites, second time is insurance. It stung like bloody hell in the sensitive areas, but at least it cured us. Funny thing is, it never affected our eldest boy. Christmas was off that year!

• Upvote 1

Well alright then, seeing as we’re all admitting to having horrible things wrong with us in the past ....... I had scabies many many years ago, so long ago I can’t remember much about it. I think I had really itchy patches on my hands between my fingers. The GP decided it was scabies and prescribed some stuff to put in bath water and said we ALL had to go through a soaking procedure for 2 or 3 days, even though my husband and the kids hadn’t got it.  Where or who the hell I got it from I have no idea but it cleared up within a few of days.  

• Like 1

I got Scabies when I was working at the Courtauld's Cotton Mill in Skelmersdale.... back around 1974.  I went to the 'in house' nurse who told me my itchy arms were most probably caused by Scabies and when I asked how the hell I could have got them she told me there was an outbreak amongst the office staff but not to tell anyone.  She asked if I'd been 'intimate' with any of them. They were a famously young and beautiful mob of young ladies, but I had to reply.  'chance would be a fine thing.. and anyway I'm married...'  But.. the penny dropped.  Everyone used the same canteen queue and everyone was in short sleeves because the weaving sheds were always warm and humid. It would be very easy to brush against someone and that's all it takes.

The Doc prescribed Benzyl Benzoate.. in a big bottle.  Me and Mrs Col had to scrub ourselves red in the bath and then paint the stuff all over and leave it on for 24 hours.. rinse and repeat.  It worked.  When I had a bad dose of all over itchiness a year or so back one thing the Doc recommended was to treat for Scabies just to rule them out.  The treatment still wasn't too pleasant.. but not as bad as the first time.  Just some cream all over for 12 hours I think.

14 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Looking at that list, what on earth is Suddenly ?

62 people were suffering from it.

But not for long... :(

• Like 2

I introduced the subject of Scabies a few posts ago. What I didn't mention, because I didn't want to make too long, but a school pal of 'er indoors also caught Scabies. She was prescribed a similar treatment to us. But after the two baths and treatments, she was still itching, not realising that it was dead mites coming to the surface, she thought she still had it. She finished the bottle and bought some more and kept splashing it all over. She finished up being admitted to hospital with severe chemical burns !