Alice walk joined all the tower blocks together and "maisonettes" were sited on the walk which was about 2 or 3 levels up from the ground, some of the flats/maisonetts were sited down some stairs as you entered the front door of each property and others went upstairs giving the impression of four stories,each flat/maisonnette had two floors,two bedrooms,spacious kitchen/diner,spacious living room,two toilets and a bathroom, but they all lead from one walk "Alice walk" the walk was accessed either by a lift in the tower blocks or via a couple of ramps

Rog

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I lived at Lenton Abbey between 1963 - 1969/70 Which is only a mile or so from Beeston Fields Drive/Bramcote. I even went to Beeston Fields Junior, then Fernwood Secondary School in Wollaton, which is

He came to one of our meet ups once.

Mick might know if this is true, there was a police officer in Nottingham who's number was 100, his surname was Watt. He was very bright.

Re Alice Walk,Theres a saying, "They don't build slums" they did there! what a Sxxxhole,, why would anyone think that was the future of housing? they must have had too much acid in 1960's! lived there 6 months 1970, brand new place, wife liked it, warm etc actually cried when she saw inside place we got a swop with. (run down 3 bed which we bought and lived in for 20 odd years (thanks Maggie) As regards Rog's description as I recall there was a flat on the walk way level, usually inhabited by some couple who drank and fought alot, the downstairs maisonette was for families with several kids awaiting approved school or borstal and the top maisonette was one and a half bed, so making 5 floors, could hardly get my motorbike into the half bed. def only one bog in it too, nice balcony though for if it all got too much!. I think each block had to have a token rasta with 5000 watt sound system and a former Mapperley hospital long term resident living in it too..

I heard it was the A60 somewhere near the Hutt pub, which he frequented, allegedly

A similar story to the Brian May one. :)

One must find all manner of folk up off The Ramper and around Ravenshead. I must nip up there one of these evenings!

The story I'm sure is on here somewhere. Brian May spottings around Ravenshead, Linby and Papplewick and s tale that he has a house in the area. Unsubstantiated but good fun!

Mind you, Freddie's mum does still live at Mapperley...

He wasn't there on the night that I went. Maybe he was on lates at Linby pit?

Re Brian May, was told to me by a serving police officer, according to him has rarely use home somewhere at Linby, the police are aware of these things

http://www.thisisnot...tail/story.html

IT is a rumour that has been spread across the county for more than a decade: Brian May has ahouse in Papplewick. There have even been supposed sightings of him in the local pub, the Griffins Head. Many years ago I was driven past the cottage that was reputed to be his.

Sadly, it's an urban myth and one that the Queen guitarist has heard before.

"I have no idea where this rumour comes from but I've never had a house in Nottingham," he says.

"I would love to tell you I have in order to ingratiate myself with you.

"I think people get me confused with Freddie (Mercury) because his mum lives there."

Many years back, 1966, a girlfriend I had who lived with her Mother on Bestwood Estate told me, or rather her Mother did, that Roger Moore had a house not that far away, I don't know how true it was, but it appeared she had met him from the way she talked about him.

She did seem to know influential people though as the Lord Mayor was a visitor and close friend.

I was offered a lift home one day from their house by the same Lord Mayor in his "Roller" I declined due to his reputation.....I won't say any more on that one.... no1

I once met a man whose second cousin on his mother's side told him that Sir Roger Moore managed to get a driving job with a local coach company and thereby got his licence to Skills.

• Upvote 1

IT is a rumour that has been spread across the county for more than a decade: Brian May has ahouse in Papplewick. There have even been supposed sightings of him in the local pub, the Griffins Head. Many years ago I was driven past the cottage that was reputed to be his.

Sadly, it's an urban myth and one that the Queen guitarist has heard before.

"I have no idea where this rumour comes from but I've never had a house in Nottingham," he says.

"I would love to tell you I have in order to ingratiate myself with you.

"I think people get me confused with Freddie (Mercury) because his mum lives there."

See,it is true! he never lived in papplewick or nottingham but did Linby, Lol

I think it was just used as a studio when he joined up to play lead with bob holness on sax on Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street" lol

• Upvote 1

That Saint site also states.

he had part/half share in a pub at Gypseys Lane, Spondon ...the Blue Orchid?... may have now been knocked down.

This Could refer to The Pub on Gipsy Lane Draycott (Name?)

A poster also says

He lived in BEESTON FIELDS DRIVE Bramcote, a house was and still is called "Pinewood",

The blue orchid at draycott became the Tudor court hotel, and is now a housing development Alex Smith was the DJ at the blue orchid and it certainly was not owned by Roger Moore . More like George Akin or Keith Symonds...

• 8 months later...

I also heard he lived in the Gedling to Burton Joyce area when he was in Ivanhoe (Even before The Saint!!) But as is obvious, it was just Chinese whispers

• 7 months later...