Just 10 mins off the time it takes, is £9 billion pounds worth it ? Lets hope its not foreign built. unionflag

It's only 500 million for the Midland Mainline

But services to Derby,Sheffield,Leeds and beyond will also be quicker.

Not much chance of that the more likely solution would be to covert the present train sets to electric traction or build new.

As most of the older HST sets will be pushing 40 years old by the time the work is finished I think they will be scrapped.

Its not easy to pinch overhead electrification wires with 25000 volts in them. You could only get near them with a large insulator.

Cable theft if of the signal wires at the side of the railway.

Google overhead cable theft and you will see how common it is. People have been killed whilst trying to steal live cables, but it is never going to stop it. A metre of overhead copper cable probably has a scrap value of about £5.00 so whilst they think that they can get a few metres of cable and sell it on, it will continue to be stolen, there is no deterrent.

True, Newark has two stations. There is Newark North Gate, on the East Coast Main Line, which is already electrified. And there is Newark Castle, which is the diesel-operated line from Nottingham/Derby etc.

For a town with a population of around 25,000, that ain't bad.

steam diesel or electric the fact remains Nottingham will still be on a branch line, but I have an idea! why not use the the former GCR bridge over the trent at wilford?

The rail bridge at Wilford was demolished years ago.

And anyway what use would that be for the Midland Main Line?

And I wouldn't class the line into Nottingham from Leicester/Derby as a branch.(not according to the R.O.Cs)

The problem with putting wires to Lincoln would be at Newark where the line crosses the East Coast Main Line (on the level)which is already electrified.

Looking at the situation at Newark it is nigh on impossible to bridge or tunnel the E.C.M.L.

steam diesel or electric the fact remains Nottingham will still be on a branch line, but I have an idea! why not use the the former GCR bridge over the trent at wilford?

Are you not confusing this with the former Midland Railway(L.M.S.) Lady Bay bridge at West Bridgeford are you?

This bridge was converted to road use in the 80s?(could it be put back to rail use?)

I don't know what of the "track bed" is left of the Melton route in the West Bridgeford area but reinstating the line would shorten the distance to London by about three miles and would give Melton & Corby a service to London.