Deep Purple were the first live band I ever went to see (Glasgow Apollo). They were incredibly loud, I don't think I ever went to a louder band. Pretty damn good in those days too with the original line-up of Lord, Paice, Blackmore, Glover and Gillan. Deep Purple in Rock and Fireball were terrific albums.

RIP Jon Lord, not only a very talented and innovative musician but apparently a true gentleman as well.

1969.jpg

• 4 months later...

Deep Purple were the first live band I ever went to see (Glasgow Apollo). They were incredibly loud, I don't think I ever went to a louder band. Pretty damn good in those days too with the original line-up of Lord, Paice, Blackmore, Glover and Gillan. Deep Purple in Rock and Fireball were terrific albums.

RIP Jon Lord, not only a very talented and innovative musician but apparently a true gentleman as well.

I went to see them at the Glasgow Apollo as well. I was working for BP in Grangemouth and lived in Bo'ness for a few years.

It was an amazing place, I went to the '74 concert second row from the front and in front of Jon Lord. He yelled to the sounds guys that he wanted everything louder than everything else, I believe the balcony actually rocked and swayed that night. I went to see Black Sabbeth there the same year. Deep Purple cost £2 and Black Sabbeth cost £1.80.