To stuff or not ? one for the ladies..

;) Hello ladies, sorry if i'm being sexist here but i would image the lady of the house will be cooking Crimbo dinner in the majority of households this year. Before i go on any further i would just like to say that i did the cooking over the crimbo period in our house, did it from day one and never poisoned anyone yet. That out of the way i will continue. From being a teenager right up to the present day i've always used packet stuffing [sage & onion] mixed with minced pork and something special, of which i'm not going to disclose, that's my secret weapon so to speak. I don't want to sound that i'm bragging but every year my daughter asks me to make a batch for her crimbo dinner.

Since i can remember the stuffing my dad made at crimbo was always something to look foreward to. But it wasn't to i was married that i asked him how he made it. He told me that the recipe came from his perents and it had been passed down from his great grandad to his dad then to him. Ever since my dad passed the secret on to me i've experimented with the original recipe but not come up with a better version than the original.

So to the thread of this topic "to stuff or not; that's the question, i personally do, but only in the kneck cavity. I also put some in a dish which goes into the oven for about thirty minutes before i serve the dinner up.

So ladies what do you do ? do you stuff or not...answers to the usual address. if you would like the recipe please enclose ten pounds in cash, i don't except cheques or money orders, if you don't know my address please feel free to email me.. !hand!

I must admit, this Thanksgiving (You know that Yankee holiday with the Pilgrims and the Indians)was the first time I ever made a turkey! I'm really not a big fan of turkey, I usually make ham and beef wellington, but this time we got a deep fryer and did it that way. hungry It was soooo moist! Not oily, the skin immediately fries and creates a barrier to seal the moisture in. Usually turkey seems dry to me. Needless to say, you can't stuff a turkey that is submerged in 400F oil!! I do like stuffing that's baked on it's own though. Stuffing that comes out of a turkey looks too mooshy to me!

;) It's most satisfying that the ladies who have replied to my question have shown a liking for stuffing, Caz likes a good one and angi likes both ends being stuffed, i hope not at the same time, sounds like my type of girls ?

;) Cali, sounds to me that you need a small wire tray to sit your Turkey on that way it's not swimming in it's own fat....Nothing worse that soggy stuffing myduck, wink, wink, know what i mean.....

;) Regarding how long will a Turkey last in the fridge, ilko is right depends weither it's alive or not. If it's a live it will feel more at home if you leave the light on. !rotfl!

;) Mores the pity you girls are so faraway i run private courses in the mixing of stuffing and the 69 ways to stuff an old boiler...... LOL !rotfl!

turani.gif

• 2 years later...
Yep!I like to stuff,stuffing is good.Roll up the sleeves and really get in there,both ends.

What's your secret ingredient BIP i'm dying to know.Mines extra sage and fruit. ;)

mines teaspoon of Bovril, Tomato sausage, salt n pepper.....yumtum....lol

I make stuffing from scratch Den, croutons cut from stale dry bread, minced unspiced pork, salt, pepper, chicken stock, herbs, my own mix, ground hazel nuts that I roast, a couple of apples sliced and diced, couple of sticks of celery diced and mix the lot up with a fork until all the croutons are soaked and the mix is thoroughly mixed up. Turns out delicious!

I forgot one last ingredient, an onion, sliced and chopped!

I also lurve stuffin',,,, but I always prefer my own stuffin', rather than paid for !

I only do stuffin' to eat,,,,,,, I can't get on with stuffin' a bird if you ain't goina eat it as well !?!?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I make sure I have a jar of cred bums at all times,,,,, useful also for coating other things,,,,, also, don't like Thyme,,,, so S&Onion is my choice along with odds & sods as I go,,,,,,,,

as it 'appens, am doing it for tomorrows dinner,,,,,, (it's quite strange for me to have a sunday roast actually on a sunday,,,,, as I just have one when I fancy it !?).

mmmm

Funny you should resurrect this topic cause I was asked the other day if I would make stuffing for crimbo day at my daughters.

There’s no secret to my stuffing it only take warm hands and a strong back.

No fruit or nuts are hurt in the making of my recipe.

Bip.

I use a packet of Morrisons own (16p) and add half a roll of sausage meat and half an onion. Laverly!!!!!! but I dont stuff the bird I put it in a seperate bowl

can't beat M and S turkey breast already stuffed !!!

Theres no fun in havin' a bird and someone else doin the stuffin........

Thats wot I say...

That was such a conservative reply Mick and in the spirit of chrimbo too but I’m with Frank on this one it would be irksome to me to let someone else do the stuffing.

Bip…..a little happier 24.gif

Don't want to disappoint but......

We break up for Christmas on the 19th and return to work on the 5th.

Lucky for me I'm not on call this year either... wow..

Just to rub salt in the wound... we are going away for Xmas and New Year. !tanning!

Downside is.... I don't know who will be stuffing my bird???

Steady, steady.....