scan0006.jpg?t=1343047827

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Theres some old buses and trolleybuses in this film from 1951. I found this on a Glasgow website.      

Some sound on this one    

Also on the second one........what is that object on the road-side? I think I remember seeing them, but can't remember what they were

box.jpg

Police box for midgets? Ornate litter bin? Low-level post box for small people?

Also on the second one........what is that object on the road-side? I think I remember seeing them, but can't remember what they were

box.jpg

Police box for midgets? Ornate litter bin? Low-level post box for small people?

Was it something to do with telephones?

• 1 month later...

Just looking at your 1st photo Compo,

the number 40 Wilford rd, thats the one we used to catch to visit my Aunties who still lived dahn the Medders when i was a kid in the 50s, was there also a 47 that went down wilford rd ? Another trolley bus i remember was the no 39 from wollaton to Carlton, I still have a vision of a conductress hooking the poles back on the track, which would have held up traffic behind, Not much road rage in those days was there !!

Remember seeing a pole come off on a 40 going over the points where Carrington Street and Greyfriargate diverged. It was Goose Fair Saturday, and heavy traffic was following too close behind so there was not enough room to pull the long hook out from under the bus. The conductress had to nip across and borrow one from a passing 43 that she flagged down on Carrington Street. So then there were two stationary trolleybuses holding up swarms of traffic around them. Lovely job!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...