• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Theres some old buses and trolleybuses in this film from 1951. I found this on a Glasgow website.      

Some sound on this one    

Why they did away with a public transport that was clean and quiet, is a mystery. If they'd brought back trolley buses instead of trams, there'd have been very little disruption putting the overhead lines in, and Nottingham would have been unique, being the only City in the country with trolleys. They could swing around another vehicle to get past, so keeping on time. Trams are everywhere nowadays, and total chaos while putting in the tracks. Then again every time they decide to extend the service, Phoenix is just the same.

• Like 3

I think trams are a prestige project (losing nearly a million pounds a week) whereas trolley buses were seen as old fashioned. The fact that they are more flexible and far, far cheaper is irrelevant. Now Carillion have gone the trams are likely to cost a whole lot more.

9 minutes ago, Brew said:

I think trams are a prestige project (losing nearly a million pounds a week) whereas trolley buses were seen as old fashioned. The fact that they are more flexible and far, far cheaper is irrelevant. Now Carillion have gone the trams are likely to cost a whole lot more.

That makes a whole lot of sense, "so what's the topic today councillor's?" Oh let's see how much money we can waste. What a bunch of to55 ers.

Some friends and I used to collect trolley bus tickets. They had a one or two letter start then several digits number.  The idea of the collecting was to only collect those with the starting letter(s) the same as a chemical symbol (we were scientists, after all). We were trying to form a complete periodic table. We did manage to collect over fifty elements, though.

Two great pieces of film thanks.

What's the betting that some time in the future some bright spark of a councillor will come up with a new form of public transport.

I can hear it now "listen to this lads, its more versatile than trams because it does not need rails, it's nearly silent, no more pollution than trams, far less expensive, can get round obstructions in the road, it's benefits are endless, I give you the ......Trackless otherwise known as a trolley bus. The future of transport for our great city"

Can you imagine what a trolley of today would look like, and with the advent of better batteries in an emergency you could just drop the poles and away you go.

My personal take on this is something as big & expensive as the tram system has cost most probably some people were rewarded in some way to push this fiasco on the Nottm public.

Money talks as they say.

Lovely bits of film! Not a “transport fan”, but watched those clips all the way through. As I saw the numbers on the trolley buses, the routes popped back into my mind - the 43 which I caught from school at Trent Bridge, “my” bus, the 39 up Carlton Road, the Wells Road 40 etc., etc!

Lots of stuff happening in the background too, with glimpses of the Central Market and Griffin & Spalding.

Why, oh why, did they get rid of the trolley bus to replace it with a much more expensive, inferior “clean” transport 50 years later. As said earlier, pure egotism.

Watched this all the way through, hoping I might see someone I knew, but seeing I was only 8 years old in 1951 there's probably no chance!  Sobering thought that over 80% (just my estimate!) of the people in that film are probably no longer alive or, if they are, are very old.  I particularly enjoyed looking at the Market Square as that's how I remember it.  I'm a bit tearful now as I remember my mum taking me into town on the bus when I was little....

• Like 2

My thoughts exactly same as yours Margie ref' 80% and getting tearful........only difference is i was only 6 yr old..lol........all the blokes wearing suit and ties,Cars parking more or less on every street,hopping on the back of the Bus forgot about that,

• Like 1

My memory may be a bit hazy but i'm sure one of those speakers was John Peck of Bulwell. He regularly stood in the square Sunday mornings extolling the virtues of communism.

As kid I loved the place, people preaching, people heckling, great stuff. Across the road to Lyons where they had litttle teapots on a rotating plate. Buy a pot and sit and listen to the people reminiscing, arguing, every nationality you could think of, the place was like a mini united nations.

Anyone trying it now would be arrested for disturbing peace, inciting a riot, hate crime or anything they think up and call it a terrorist offence.

• Like 1

Great bit of film Taxi Ray............Wer'nt Market Square lovely before it became a ''Slab''.................

6 hours ago, jonab said:

Some friends and I used to collect trolley bus tickets. They had a one or two letter start then several digits number.  The idea of the collecting was to only collect those with the starting letter(s) the same as a chemical symbol (we were scientists, after all). We were trying to form a complete periodic table. We did manage to collect over fifty elements, though.

Jonab, they would have been Bell Punch Ultimate tickets, and they were also used on the motorbuses. The last ones were finally phased out in 1985 when the Clifton Estate services became one person operated.