Loved the 1951 Festival video of Nottingham. I was born in 1950 so I found it very evocative.

I spotted Leonard Miitson  going into the Council House at 9.19. He had a hand made chocolate shop on Long Row and a factory  in Lenton. He was Lord Mayor in 1955/6. I think he might have been on Forest’s board as well.

My dad used to take some Mitson’s chocolates for my mum as a peace offering on a Saturday evening after the football at Meadow Lane in the late 50s. IIRC the bag was crimson and white striped with a dark brown cord handle. Very exclusive. Mum would sometimes let me have one but dad was very disapproving reminding me of the sweets I’d had at the football during the afternoon.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Theres some old buses and trolleybuses in this film from 1951. I found this on a Glasgow website.      

Some sound on this one    

Correction.

I see here http://www.lentontimes.co.uk/back_issues/issue_6/issue_06_24.htm 

that Leonard Mitson was a director of Notts County FC  although you can see here

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM010992&pos=7&action=zoom&id=62436 that he shared the joy of Forest's FA Cup win in 1959.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if you are aware of this limited edition Corgi model.  I think I now have 4 or 5...  What I'd like to do is replace the number-plates  and the earlier pics have given me a few options, so thanks for that. (GTV 661 & GTV 662, so presumably there would also be a GTV 653?).  For my money, the most attractive and appropriate bus colour scheme anywhere in the country with Barton's red, cream and maroon not far behind.

I used to catch a 43 or 44 to be dropped off at Muskham St and then would walk to see Dad at work.  Most of you will have had an 'H Tempest' school photograph at one time or another and Dad was works manager until he retired.

I also used to catch the trolley going out to Bulwell, to see my uncle who had the Chemist shop "H Stanley"(?).

34701COR-SD_3266895_Qty1_1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Just spent some time looking at the trolley bus videos, thanks go to all who posted them.

It was also interesting to look at the adverts on the bus sides and the cars from the 50's and 60's that we got glimpses of too.

Are there any techo's out there that could give some information on the power output of the trolley compared to modern diesel or gas powered buses as even when fully loaded they looked quite nippy.

They ran on 550 volts DC. Don't know about power output but judging by the way they were driven then they must have been at least as powerful as current Volvos & Scanias!

The thing with electric motors is, they give full torque from the moment they go. That's what makes them wizz about.

• 11 months later...
10 hours ago, Deepdene Boy said:

the single deck trolleybus you refer to was a Glasgow Corporation Transport

We had single deck trolley buses in Adelaide Australia they were used until 1963

A total of 56 were used made up of two types, Leyland Canton (original intended for China hence the name) and Sunbeam MF2B (Silver) chassis single deckers. One of each type is preserved at our local tramway museum

Photos By William Adams -  Tramway Museum St Kilda Adelaide

i287104489229767377._szw480h1280_.jpgi287104489229767389._szw480h1280_.jpg

• Like 3

I was still at school think it was yellow it didnt run in service for long  i recall the trolley bus only used to slow down some times at the stop you had to hop off the exit platform I went on the one at sandtoft lots of memories came back  I was amazed how low the roof was but then I was only little when I used to ride them On the long seats my feet didnt used to reach the floor and the rumble of the poles at the junctions  meeowed

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

An old mate of mine now long gone used to drive the Notts and Derby trolley bus He had a piece of the overhead line when they were scrapped it was solid copper about half inch thick  He knew the weight per mile it was tons You always knew it was a Notts and Derby trolleybus even on foggy days they used to hiss I took him down to Bournemouth where they had one they were restoring they were hoping to run it at the Black country museum track He once told me that the fog got so bad they parked up at valley road and went to the pictures across the road When they came out the fog had cleared and they got suspended meeowed

• Like 3