Nottingham Playhouse: Diary of a Football Nobody

The dramatisation of one of the very best books about football I've ever read: Steak - Diana Ross by former Notts player, Dave McVay. A memoir from the game based around the lower reaches of the Football League in the 1970s.

If it's half as funny and poignant as the book it will be a great night's entertainment.

http://www.nottingha...ootball-nobody/

51YT0SZF6ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Got my tickets already mate. Going with a few mates from down the Lane!! I got the book years ago and still find it funny every time I read it....

Glad I found somebody else that enjoyed it Gibbo! It's hilarious - especially when he starts talking about Jimmy Sirrel. You can almost 'taste' the 1970s in that little book. Brilliant - especially if you remember watching the main protagonists!

I can relate to the training on the old ' tip ' with the dustcarts coming and going as I lived about 5 minutes away from it and can vividly recall Jimmy and ' Jackson ' shouting out their, ( in Jimmy's case, incomprehensible ) instructions!!!

It was real rough magic, mate. Loved those days. Ran on the pitch all three times when the Magpies were promoted up the divisions! Nylon shirts, proper numbers, hard men, real wingers, centre halves and centre forwards. Bomber up the middle and the little Scottish maestro in the middle running the show.

Happy days.

It's certainly been quite a ride following the Maggies mate. There have been so many characters wearing the Black and White stripes, I wouldn't know where to start!!

Game was full of characters at that time eh mate? Stubbsy, Scanlon, Bob Wortho, Billy Brindley, Pedro, big Tony, The Don (imperious). Jimmy stuffing the team with centre halves and other defensive players after a defeat! Jack Dunnet's legendary meanness! A lot of fun and a lot to look forward to on a Saturday afternoon

I was in the meadow lane end when bob Worthington scored his only goal for notts ,i watched it go into the bottom right corner off the net .what joy for wortho. Everton, Leeds great to watch. Plus many more.

A Tuesday night.........Notts 2 Arsenal 1, after being a goal down with about 5 minutes or so to play. The look on the Gunners fans faces at the end was priceless!!

• 2 months later...

Went to see this production last night - what a great night's entertainment!

The most nostalgic I have felt in a very long time, from the opening slides of seventies Nottingham to the rolling out of Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love as the audience were leaving. Absolutely loved every minutes of it.

Eric Richard (Sgt Cryer from The Bill) was uncannilly like Jimmy Sirrel whilst Perry Fitzpatrick played Dave McVay superbly in a very taxing role on stage for most of the evening.

The show was extremely funny throughout and the Nottingham accents (from a largely local cast I believe) were bang-on.

Minuses, if I had to find any, were some slightly strange casting with the likes of Don Masson and Jack Wheeler looking nothing like the real thing. Good performances though and it did not detract from proceedings.

This is obviously a production that revolves around football but it's a great and nostalgic period-piece from the seventies with a little social comment too. Especially memorable were the play's several poignant moments with David's family and girlfriend.

Go and see it - whether you care about football or not - you'll love this slice of 1970s Nottingham.

• 2 weeks later...

I was lucky enough to attend last Thursday. What an entertaining evening...As you said Stu they really nailed the accents. The whole performance, from start to finish was excellent. I'm so glad I went.