Jackson, remember Susan Marshall opposite me? Her dad was a delivery driver for Ford's, and often had the big truck parked outside his house. You must have walked past it hundreds of times.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was one in Alfreton where I grew up.  I remember behind the counter a wall full of drawers where all the children's (me) vests and pants/underwear was kept.  (Liberty bodices for the girls)  Lon

I used to shop in here as a teenager! I once bought wool for a friend's mum to knit me a Mansfield Town FC zip up cardi. She knitted a yellow stags head on the back and the letters MTFC across the fro

And one on Denman Street, Radford

There was a Fords in Hucknall, a really old building all navy blue and curved glass front. Like someone else said, this one too could be accessed thru one door and walked round the whole shop and out of another one at the front. It was where the Pilgrim Oak is now. It was knocked down in the 70s and a Co-op supermarket was built in its place which then was replaced by the Pilgrim. When it was knocked down they moved into new premises a little further down Hucknall High Street into what is now Jack Fultons freezer shop. I think it disappeared from Hucknall the late 80s early 90s although i may be wrong about that.

Back in the early 1980's I used to do a fair bit of relief driving for Fords through the Mayday agency; the warehouse was on Heathcoat Street in those days, as Littlebro says they went up to Bilborough later. IIRC the business was owned by the Pink family, Barry Pink (known as Mr. Barry) being one of the directors.

The shops covered a large area of the East Midlands; apart from the ones mentioned there were stores in Shirebrook, Derby, Newark and Mansfield; my mum was a devoted fan of the Netherfield store, taking great delight in finding bargain dresses for 50 pence or a quid!

Nice firm to work for. Funny how they disappeared, yet their original ethos of selling cheap but reasonable quality goods is all over our high streets these days in the form of Poundland, Primark and the like. I suspect they got a bit too big; they opened that large store on Lower Parliament Street didn't they, next door to the Dog & Partridge?

• Upvote 1

:) Lovely to see your avatar again susyshoes; hope you're going to make it a regular occurrence. :)

thanks , i do pop in here every now and again, just seem to be always doing somethin of an evening and dont get on my laptop as often as i used to (new man in my life haha)

S'pose that means much cookin', darnin' & ironin' to be done, not to mention polishin' of boots, lass !!....................... :biggrin:

haha actually i seem to have found one at last that looks after me after many years of doing 'all the above' . Im enjoying the moment while it lasts

GOOD FOR YOU SUZY HOPE YOU ARE OK AND ENJOYING EVERY MOMENT OF BEING TAKEN CARE OF I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN LUCKY AND HAD A MAN WHO HAS ALWAYS TAKEN CARE OF ME, THERE ARE TIMES WHEN I HAVE SOMETIMES FELT HE HAS BEEN OVER PROTECTIVE BUT BETTER THAT WAY THAN THE OTHER WAY SO NOT ALL MEN ARE BAD GOOD LUCK WITH IT WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOU AT ONE OF THE MEET UPS WITH YOUR NEW MAN

• 9 months later...

Back in the early 1980's I used to do a fair bit of relief driving for Fords through the Mayday agency; the warehouse was on Heathcoat Street in those days, as Littlebro says they went up to Bilborough later. IIRC the business was owned by the Pink family, Barry Pink (known as Mr. Barry) being one of the directors.

Funny how they disappeared, yet their original ethos of selling cheap but reasonable quality goods is all over our high streets these days in the form of Poundland, Primark and the like. I suspect they got a bit too big; they opened that large store on Lower Parliament Street didn't they, next door to the Dog & Partridge?

Bump !

While I was searching for the Dog and Partridge link I happened upon this thread about Fords shops and noticed the Pink name as owners . Immediately I read that , the name Andrew Pink came into my head , though I now can't remember how I knew him though he is just about my age !

Using that name I found that the company , started in 1932 was called "A.Ford & Company (Nottingham) Limited" and that the company was liquidated in 2000 .

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/55792/notices/243/all=Nottingham

When we lived at Thorneywood, we used to use the one in the precinct on the corner of Breck Hill and Mapperley top .

i have a friend who maiden name was pink whoes mum lives thorneywood area could this be the family you thinking of david

i have a friend who maiden name was pink whoes mum lives thorneywood area could this be the family you thinking of david

Babs, No idea where he lived but I vaguely knew him either through Digby college or work or he just went to the same pubs as

us and I knew at the time he was connected with Fords . It's all a haze !!!!

Many of my clothes came from Fords on high Street, Arnold. Didn't like the clothes shopping but as a bonus Anthony's was a few yards up the street and a window shop for toys was always a treat. Never had the money to buy them though!

I think we bought nearly all our white cotton babies nappies from Fords . Probably the bucket to soak them in too ! We only bought disposable nappies if we were going away on holidays , too dear otherwise .

Whatever happened to proper nappies?! These days landfill is stuffed full of disposables.

Just read that 400,000 tonnes of them are "Disposed" of to landfill in UK every year.

www.parliament.uk/documents/lords-committees/.../st1nappyalliance.pdf

What happened to Fords quite simple the tax man caught up with them.

I knew Andrew 'Drew' Pink very well until he left to live in Spain with his lovely wife Manuella 'spelling'. We shot over a farm at Strelley and played poker every other Monday.

Bit of a lad our Drew had a triple bypass in his 30s but he had worked very hard to earn it. One of his girl friends at one time was Sue Pollard in fact he even gets a mention in her book.

Colin

• Upvote 1

My Mum always says that Fords in Netherfield kept us in clothes that she could afford on their low income.
IMMSC it always had a distinct smell to it too, A sort of musty smell but not horrible with it, if you can understand me.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Fords shops