:) Anyone remember 'Fords' shops of Nottingham? At one time there'd be a 'Fords' - perhaps two - dotted around the various estates in our fair city.

My mum used to buy most of our clothes - cotton goods, 'Empire' label - from the 'Fords' on Broxtowe Lane.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was one in Alfreton where I grew up.  I remember behind the counter a wall full of drawers where all the children's (me) vests and pants/underwear was kept.  (Liberty bodices for the girls)  Lon

I used to shop in here as a teenager! I once bought wool for a friend's mum to knit me a Mansfield Town FC zip up cardi. She knitted a yellow stags head on the back and the letters MTFC across the fro

And one on Denman Street, Radford

The one you remember Cliff ton would be near to Woolies I think next door to Pettits, general goods store

Rog

top_station_rd.jpg Heres the one that was in Beeston...i remember it being a 2 door shop as they had 2 shops together and you could go in one door and out the other as the shops were joined at the back.....one side was all yer household stuff ( curtains, towels bedding etc ) and the other side was clothes and toys.

NCCS002835.jpg

There was one on Central Avenue in West Bridgford. Spent many a Friday afternoon in there with my pocket money.

I "think" there was one in Long Eaton too!

and one on victoria rd netherfield i think fords head offices were in derby

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone for your valued input on the 'Fords' topic. :)

I had googled 'Fords' under quite a few different headings but could find no information whatsoever; so it's good that you're participating and that we have the postings for anyone needing to research.

'Fords' was very much a treasured chain of shops by people of all ages, seeking quality at an economical price.

There was a Fords shop just above the Langham Pub on Radford Road. Used to get school shirts and shorts from there. I found a Fords carrier bag in a drawer at my mums house only the other day.

Just looked at the modern Denman Street on Google amps - What happened to all the shops that used to be there?!

I used to love rummaging through the second hand and pawn shops. If only I could turn back time and visit them again with the money and knowledge that I have now.....

:) When a child, I was a saver; every week I'd buy a 6d saving stamp from the Post Office.

When it was my mum's birthday or especially on 'Mothers' Day', I'd draw some of these savings out from the Post Office at the top of Broxtowe Lane and then walk a little further down the Lane to Fords, to buy my mum a present; normally it would be a pretty, new flowered apron for her to wear. :)

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Fords shops