• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was one in Alfreton where I grew up.  I remember behind the counter a wall full of drawers where all the children's (me) vests and pants/underwear was kept.  (Liberty bodices for the girls)  Lon

I used to shop in here as a teenager! I once bought wool for a friend's mum to knit me a Mansfield Town FC zip up cardi. She knitted a yellow stags head on the back and the letters MTFC across the fro

And one on Denman Street, Radford

My Mum always says that Fords in Netherfield kept us in clothes that she could afford on their low income.

IMMSC it always had a distinct smell to it too, A sort of musty smell but not horrible with it, if you can understand me.

I remember many visits to Fords in Mapperley precinct (now a bed shop) in the 60s.

I think the only reason my mum took me there so often was that while i was preoccupied with picking the right toy, she could nip into Ladbrokes next door and put some of the housekeeping on some nag or another.

:)

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I used to get a lot of model aircraft from the Mapperley Fords. Happy days.

I had totally forgotten that they used to sell some toys and models.

I remember now buying a few Airfix kits for model railway wagons.from Fords in Ripley.

In the dim and distant past used to go in the Fords shop on Middleton Boulevard, principally bought stationery etc. Wonder who's got that shop now?

I used to shop in here as a teenager! I once bought wool for a friend's mum to knit me a Mansfield Town FC zip up cardi. She knitted a yellow stags head on the back and the letters MTFC across the front, all without a pattern. I was amazed and treasured it until I outgrew it. I went to Thieves Wood boarding school for physically disabled children, on the A60, and we had a close relationship with MTFC who raised money for the kids, trained with us when we were preparng for the paraplegic under 16's national games (which fed into the Paralympics). Went to loads of home games each season throughout the '70s.

I also used to buy my family presents from the Fords on Raleigh Island and the big one in town opposite the Vic Centre. Those were the days. Simpler, yet happier, I reckon.

• Upvote 2

I worked for fords in the wearhouse from sept 82 till april 96 the year it finished.i had many happy years there and i still keep in touch with director Andrew Pink

nequest music. I'm intrigued by your name. Do you have any connection with the former business, or have you simply named yourself after a shop?

nequest-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

nequest music. I'm intrigued by your name. Do you have any connection with the former business, or have you simply named yourself after a shop?

nequest-1.jpg

Yes im a nequest .It was founded by my great grandfather then my grandfather and his brothers took over the bussiness finally my uncle took on the bussiness before it sadly ended

• 2 weeks later...

There was a Fords on Bracebridge drive Bilborough.it was the very end shop next to the garage.

It is now a Salvation Charity shop which has just opened...before that Nottingham City Homes used it as a housing office.

Good memories of Fords going i their when i was not even a teenager.

Great photo, Enigma1st #58. Used to shop there regularly and once bought the wife a new chip pan for Christmas - did not go down at all well!

If memory serves, Fords shops often had special one-offs. For example, I once bought a big flat tin of Derwent coloured pencils, about 48 in all. They were meant for the kids, but looked so nice laying in the open tin that we hardly ever used them and I've still got them now, 30-odd years later.

Fords were also good for Jigsaw puzzles for the kids, but again, they'd often have more upmarket designs for adults at ridiculously low prices and, yes, I've still got those too (in the loft).

But I think it was stuff like kids clothes, bedding and towels that really made them so popular, with us at any rate.

• Upvote 1

Hiya Nequest Music and thanks for a memory jog.

re #65 - Did your grandfather or uncles live on Perry Road at one time? Our neighbour (now deceased) mentioned the name when we were talking over the garden fence some years ago now. Something about having had a properly landscaped back garden?

Just remembered that there used to be one on Bramcote Lane, Wollaton near the RBS. Mum got a few things when I was a kid.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Fords shops