• 1 month later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was one in Alfreton where I grew up.  I remember behind the counter a wall full of drawers where all the children's (me) vests and pants/underwear was kept.  (Liberty bodices for the girls)  Lon

I used to shop in here as a teenager! I once bought wool for a friend's mum to knit me a Mansfield Town FC zip up cardi. She knitted a yellow stags head on the back and the letters MTFC across the fro

And one on Denman Street, Radford

• 1 year later...

Mid 80s my then young teenage lads hated it if we took them in Fords,Bulwell,........street cred and all that.........lol.

• Upvote 1

Everything in Fords was grey, beige, faun, natural etc. No proper colours.

When I was growing up in the 50's - Fords along with Woolworth's were the places to shop....................

I think a lot of us will remember shopping there back then.

I got to know Drew in the early 80s we along with other friends had a rough shoot up Strelly way and formed a poker school at Drew's house. One of his ex girlfriends was Sue Pollard she even mentions him in her autobiography calling him the love of her life.

• 6 months later...

I remember Andrew Pink as being involved with the Cooperative Arts Theatre, as were Su Pollard, my sister who was Su's best friend, and myself.

He was indeed the love of Su's life and it caused a lot of trouble as I remember but since those concerned are still around, I am saying no more about that!

When I finally got a car there was no stopping my wife. Every Saturday starting about 10am I would drive her all round to every fords that she could find, neterfield-carlton-clifton-stappleford-beston-bulwell-basford-and others. Even better if there was a co-op scoop there as well. I spent many a long hour waiting in the car as I didn’t like shopping

Jill #87.

Drew was/is a very nice chap but a bugger for the ladies, when I knew him he had divorced his wife and married their au-pair a very nice Spanish lady. As I told him at the time he would have a much easier life if he learnt to keep it in his trousers........

Mind you he paid a price triple bypass before the age of 40.

• 2 years later...

There used to be a Ford's shop in Alfreton where I was born and spent my first few years.  I always remember they had a 'wall full of drawers' behind the counter where they kept all the  child's vests, pants, pyjamas, socks etc' I remember like yesterday (and I must have been very young too) being in there with my mam one day and the lady behind the counter getting some vests out of one of the glass fronted drawers for me behind her.  Funny how little things like that stick in your mind isn't it?

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I remember going in the one at the bottom of Bracebridge drive in Bilborough in the 70's & 80's next door to the Garage, it then turned into council offices and is now a Salvation Army Charity shop

Bracebridge drive also had a Scoop above the Co-Op and the CITV Childrens show Chish & Fips was filmed in the Chip Shop there (Now Andy's Fish Bar)

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Fords shops