There used to be an Andrews fish bar on Aspley Lane, opposite Amersham rise. We used to be regulars on a Saturday when visiting mother in law, in Anchor, Byron Court, at the back of St. Margaret's Church.

The poor lad passed away at an early age and was taken over by his wife. Don't know if it's still there now or who owns it.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was one in Alfreton where I grew up.  I remember behind the counter a wall full of drawers where all the children's (me) vests and pants/underwear was kept.  (Liberty bodices for the girls)  Lon

I used to shop in here as a teenager! I once bought wool for a friend's mum to knit me a Mansfield Town FC zip up cardi. She knitted a yellow stags head on the back and the letters MTFC across the fro

And one on Denman Street, Radford

There was one in Alfreton where I grew up.  I remember behind the counter a wall full of drawers where all the children's (me) vests and pants/underwear was kept.  (Liberty bodices for the girls)  Long gone now but I am talking about the early 1960's as I am very very old...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We do have a boy on here who wore a liberty bodice!  Those banks of drawers and the slide-along stepladder used to fascinate me!  Most items were neatly folded in a bag with a white paper backing and a cellophane front. A price ticket was appended by a sharp pin. It was always something and 11d.

• Like 1

@Andyblackpool  you’re not old - I’m biologically old enough to be your mother!  (Not that I was that precocious!)

My children used to love going to Fords on Mapperley Top because they liked to buy very cheap plastic toys there.

• Like 1

There can't be many veterans like us ,here on NS Margie. From what I've seen, with the exception of a couple they're all relative youngsters.

• Like 1

Still ticking on eh, that's good, pension soon that's better ;-)   Went back to Alfreton a few months back after a several years just for a nostalgic look around.  Wish I'd not bothered all my childhood/growing up memories shattered.  What a dump now and how things change eh?  Best regards A

I think your childhood memories will stay with you along with the changes to the town.  Our childhood memories are usually much sharper than recent ones and will hopefully take preference in your mind.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Fords shops
1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

"Back in the mid-60s there were rather a lot of Ford shops."

There was one on the High Rd Beeston.  I spent many hours in there with mum buying towels/tea towels etc.  In fact in the mid 70s II bought things from there for my 'bottom drawer' and until a couple of years back still had one blue & one orange towel that had a border of white ducks. There was nothing wrong with them except a little faded & I thought time to let go to the charity shop.