" I just want to nip inter Fords". I remember mi Mam saying that when out shopping but I can't bring to mind where the shop was.

There was one on Broxtowe Lane, below Dulverton Vale.

I recall nipping into Fords for Ladybird brand short trousers.. just off Derby Rd.the narrow street leading to the Rose & Thistle pub.

Of course Bulwell hosted a nice branch also.

Mid 80s my then young teenage lads hated it if we took them in Fords,Bulwell,........street cred and all that.........lol.

• Upvote 1

Everything in Fords was grey, beige, faun, natural etc. No proper colours.

The goods may have been drab but the Pink family certainly weren't Drew was a particularly colourful character, his lifestyle lead to a triple bypass before his fortieth birthday.

When I was growing up in the 50's - Fords along with Woolworth's were the places to shop....................

I think a lot of us will remember shopping there back then.

I got to know Drew in the early 80s we along with other friends had a rough shoot up Strelly way and formed a poker school at Drew's house. One of his ex girlfriends was Sue Pollard she even mentions him in her autobiography calling him the love of her life.

On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 at 11:05 PM, piggy and babs said:

and one on victoria rd netherfield i think fords head offices were in derby

head offices were in nottingham then moved to beechdale as i worked there

I remember Andrew Pink as being involved with the Cooperative Arts Theatre, as were Su Pollard, my sister who was Su's best friend, and myself.

He was indeed the love of Su's life and it caused a lot of trouble as I remember but since those concerned are still around, I am saying no more about that!

When I finally got a car there was no stopping my wife. Every Saturday starting about 10am I would drive her all round to every fords that she could find, neterfield-carlton-clifton-stappleford-beston-bulwell-basford-and others. Even better if there was a co-op scoop there as well. I spent many a long hour waiting in the car as I didn’t like shopping

Jill #87.

Drew was/is a very nice chap but a bugger for the ladies, when I knew him he had divorced his wife and married their au-pair a very nice Spanish lady. As I told him at the time he would have a much easier life if he learnt to keep it in his trousers........

Mind you he paid a price triple bypass before the age of 40.

There used to be a Ford's shop in Alfreton where I was born and spent my first few years.  I always remember they had a 'wall full of drawers' behind the counter where they kept all the  child's vests, pants, pyjamas, socks etc' I remember like yesterday (and I must have been very young too) being in there with my mam one day and the lady behind the counter getting some vests out of one of the glass fronted drawers for me behind her.  Funny how little things like that stick in your mind isn't it?

• Like 1

Nice post Andy

Rog

That's interesting, I don't recall a Fords on Central Avenue. Would it still have been there in the '70s?

Yes thanks Stuart, I saw that. Couldn't place a Fords but wouldn't know pre-70s, before my time.

There was one at Clifton, roughly opposite Clifton Library.  I lived in a flat over Fords early 1970s.

• Like 1

I remember Fords as I used to get to play in the wearhouse on Wigman road with my brother. Very lucky to have Barry Pink as my Grandpa, a lot of people speak very highly of him still.

Chris Pink

Hi I used to work in Ford's toy warehouse from about 1973 to 1979 anybody out there that used to work there same time julia