• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That bit of road takes me back to my Coop days.....security had a small office that backed on to Wollaton street and next to that was a goods delivery place that recessed into the building........

EATING IN THE FIFTIES * Pasta had not been invented. * Curry was an unknown entity. * Olive oil was kept in the medicine cabinet * Spic

Hopefully this shows everything mentioned in the last few posts, including Ben's and Hey Arnold's memories.   Park Place (as in the old photo) is the double-headed arrow, leading out on to P

@Beekay My maternal grandad used to be a collier at Bestwood pit walking to work daily from Arnold. My mum used to tell me that one day, taking a short cut across Bestwood Lodge grounds, he was accosted by the Duke of St. Albans and his gamekeeper who asked him what he was doing on private lands. When he explained that he was on his way to work, and the shortcut saved him considerable time, apparently the Duke granted him permission to walk across his land henceforth. This was reported in the Arnold Echo (local paper) at the time. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Cliff Ton Looking through some old posts I've come to the the conclusion that you are the cartographic guru on the site. 

When my mum died we brought away a load of old paperwork, birth certificates etc and one is my grandad's baptism certificate from February 1887. On this the address is given as 3 Dob Park Place Old Basford. Just wondered if you'd ever come across it in your perusals, would love to know where it stood.

There was a Dob Park so wonder if that was the area between Bulwell Lane and Park Lane (hence the name Park Lane).  That would lend itself to Dobby Bridge that we remember.  Dob Park Place could have been thereabouts.

End of Bulwell lane/Catchers corner, that's where t'owd 42 trolleybus turnaround were, just afore the railway bridge.

Basford, Old and New was well served by railways with no less than three stations bearing its name in one form or another. Basford Vernon its first was built on the Midland Railway's Nottingham to Mansfield Line, which as is often the case with the first railway in an area still exists. The next built was on The Great Northern and bore various names, originally called Dob Park from the land it was built on, i.e. Dob Park Hall Grounds. It later had two others including Basford: Basford North and Basford & Bulwell. Lastly came New Basford on The Great Central Main Line. This route joined with the Great Northern via a vast junction area called Bagthorpe.

From https://www.nottswatch.co.uk/city-areas/basford-and-bestwood/basford-and-bestwood-area-info

Morning all this post is for that ceazy trolley bus driver BBBB?

Are you the trolley bus driver ? when I was a bit late for work i  would run like hell, to jump on the trolley-dolly bus platform so I would not be late.  WAIT till about 2inch of me  getting hold of the pole so i could jump on the bus before it left the stop, you would hear ting ting and the  trolley dolly would sail away into the sun shine, never to be seen again?   OR-welljust have to wait for next bus.

Park Place (most likely Dob Park Place) was roughly where Gayhurst Road is now.

There appears to to a pair of houses, the white ones, which were probably on Park Place still left amongst modern housing.

Modern layout over 1913 map

IPy3mav.png

sXrz7EO.png

• Like 1

The photo is of the old terraced houses that we called the ''Jitty'''in the late 40s and 50s.. which ran from Paton road off Hucknall road.....over a railway bridge the down thru Allotments ''' that are now where the houses of Gayhurst green/road stand...then down to Park Lane past the terraced houses...

I had a friend whose Grandparents lived in one of them.........turn left onto Park Lane and the ''Standard of England'' was about 100 yards on the left...

The standard'' was very popular with many people off the old Bestwood estate and the Jitty'' was the regular route...my Parents and Grandparents included.............i spent many summer nights on my 3 wheeler''  riding round the 'Standard' with a bottle of 'Pop' and a bag of 'Crisps'........the Bridge i mentioned now stands over the River Leen between Basford and Bulwell..........

• Like 3

Hopefully this shows everything mentioned in the last few posts, including Ben's and Hey Arnold's memories.

Park Place (as in the old photo) is the double-headed arrow, leading out on to Park Lane

The building arrowed on the far right is Standard of England (?)...if not it's the next building along just out of shot.

The curved road on the left is Saxondale Drive.

At the top centre is the railway embankment, with a bridge leading to Andover Road which hadn't been built yet.

ThN9j1p.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

What a brilliant picture of the area in which i was to be born and raised in.............thanks Kev.........

Great photo, as with Ben shows the area which I remember with great fondness. The bridge arrowed leads through to Andover road and Marsdens which we have been told a lot about. The Bridge was locally known as Marble Arch go through there from Bestwood Estate and onto the great wild world of Bulwell and Basford, great memories.

• Like 1

We used to go that way from Basford North station to Mellish on some mornings. It was known colloquially as ‘the Cutler way‘ as we could see the Master Cutler train on its way into Victoria station. I well remember walking past the Standard pub.