Nice to hear from you Trogg. How are you settling down? Have you started Sumo wrestling yet. :-)

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That bit of road takes me back to my Coop days.....security had a small office that backed on to Wollaton street and next to that was a goods delivery place that recessed into the building........

EATING IN THE FIFTIES * Pasta had not been invented. * Curry was an unknown entity. * Olive oil was kept in the medicine cabinet * Spic

Hopefully this shows everything mentioned in the last few posts, including Ben's and Hey Arnold's memories.   Park Place (as in the old photo) is the double-headed arrow, leading out on to P

1 hour ago, RadFordee said:

@The Engineerwhen i clicked on the picture of dob park hall i was expecting to see some kind of stately home or grand house :rotfl:.

Me too! That's why I added "apparently"

If you look on the ''Day Trips'' thread there's much more on this subject.............

@trogg, one step at a time eh. Take it easy mate and I wish you a speedy and painless recovery. Will be thinking of you.  B.

8 hours ago, Hey Arnold said:

Thanks for the response from all, some fantastic info, pictures and memories. Amazing to think we all have lived or been around the same area, albeit decades apart in some cases 

It's been noticed more than once over the years that everybody who posts on Nottstalgia is probably related to everyone else who posts here. 

49 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

It's been noticed more than once over the years that everybody who posts on Nottstalgia is probably related to everyone else who posts here. 

That answers another question.....why me toes are all webbed together and I've got six fingers each hand :Shock:

Talking of memories, am watching Simon and Garfunkel concert in Central Park. AGAIN. Have seen it so many times but still good. What a combo.

Think my childhood memories  were not the best of my life. School years it was 'survival of the fittest'. At home it were 'dragged up' rather than brought up. Wasn't all grim, there were some highlights.

Learned all me swear words from me parents, (they were always arguing). Having three brothers, it was "first down, best dressed".

Never saw the sea until I were 15 and never went on holiday until my future inlaws invited me to join them in 1963, on a trip to Cliftonville. Never had a photograph taken until I were about 17, so no school pics to reminisce over. Had a couple of decent school pals up until about 1957, but after that, mundane really.

But truth be told, I wouldn't have changed one minute, (Apart from when I bit me tongue in half !)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

As you were all so very helpful with information when my other half, hey arnold, posted a query about dob park place a couple of days ago i would like to kindly ask if any of you could help to locate somewhere for me.

I was born in the early 60's in my grandparents house in adcocks yard, which i know was on russell street radford, as this info is on my birth certificate. I would really love to know where on the street the yard was. I have had a look through the radford map pages on the site but no joy there, the houses were demolished in the late 60's.

Thanks in advance for any info.

I found a job advert in a Lace factory with the address of Adcocks Yard, so I'd guess 1 of the 3  Lace factories in the picture.

Possibly the houses marked green as they have access to the factory yard.

Alfreton Rd bottom left corner.

Forest Rd top left corner

pexO0Nq.png

Adcocks Yard was between 35 and 39 Russell Street (so southern side, towards Forest Road end) and comprised four houses.

Russell Street is still there; a few of the lace factories survive and a handful of houses.  The rest was redeveloped.

Thanks to all for your prompt replies, & also for the map stuartc but i knew it could not be the houses that you had marked in green as my old infants school stood on the opposite corner ie the corner of russell st & raleigh st & that row of houses was still there in the early 70's, do you know what year the map is please as i noticed the school is not marked in that location. Thanks again.

On Stuart's map, project from Thoroton Street and see four houses nestled behind the houses on Russell Street.  I think those would be Adcocks Yard.

@RadFordee Historical Directories of England and Wales, hosted online by Leicester University.  Whites, Wrights and Kellys are the most comprehensive.  Lists of streets and who lived there, with occupations.  A veritable mine of information (includes lots of background info and stats for Notts) but I find the search facility a bit flaky (that said I am on a mobile - might be better from a desktop).

@RadFordee I think a lot of us just like a bit of detective work.  The different methods and resources used by members complement each other and these are sense checked with various memories to form a credible solution.